I did it... told my story

Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On a tear

I did it... told my story

Hi guys,

I was asked by my home group to be tonight's speaker... to tell my "story". I've not done that before, and only agreed after praying, turning it over and with only 3 years in the program, talking to my sponsor.

For the past week, I've been scrambled... as I thought about "what it was like" the committe in my head had a fricken convention! I finally wrote it out, at Cynay's request, and that shut the committee up (thank you Cynay!!).

Tonight was the night.... wow. I felt so loved. So "part of". Accepted... warts and all. A surprise was a husband who came - we share a mutual friend who grew up with me and was around at the beginning of my drinking years. This was his first Alanon meeting... but HP was with me. It was exactly what it needed to be.

For those who couldn't make it tonight (grin), my story is here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...sis-story.html

If any of you are working a program and get asked to tell your story, I have to say it was probably better for me, in many ways, than I ever expected.

Being here for most of those 3 years has helped me with my recovery in many, many, MANY ways. Thank you for the part you all play in my recovery.

((hugs))
Old 04-20-2007, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

BigSis, I read your story here and have been blessed that you have shared your recovery with me over the years here and am so proud of you for speaking at your group and sharing your experience, strength and hope.

I know that when I first began going to meetings, it was listening to stories like yours that convinced me that I desperately wanted what those who spoke had. As I listened I learned that others had been through the same or worse hell than I had been through and hearing what they had done to go from "there" to "here" was a huge inspiration for me and more than anything it gave me hope, hope that my life too could be better if I was willing to do what was required,

You have always been an inspiration to me, your recovery shines and I can feel your serenity in everything you post.

I am so grateful for those who went before me, for those who walk with me today and for the newcomer who reminds me of where I have been and why I don't want to go back there ever again. And it all comes down to one codie, like you, sharing with another, like me. Together we can do what we could never do alone.

I love you, BigSis, for just being you and sharing your life with all of us, warts and all.

Hugs
Old 04-20-2007, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Ann said it all, you are an inspiration to me too.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just got done reading your story. You have been through A LOT. I am glad you were strong enough to perservere...even though you came close to not being able to. But HUGS and congratulations!! Here's a prayer for you on your path to recovery.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

What an incredible story! You give everyone here something that most of us have lost along the way-hope that the future can be better.

Congratulations on sharing with your group; that was not an easy thing to do , I'm sure. I am so proud of you!

(((HUGS)))
Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BigSis, not alot to say except I Love You!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i read your story. it is so well said. thanks again for sharing, it really helps to hear it. blessings, k
Old 04-20-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with all of the above. You are such an inspiration and I hope that my recovery is one day as strong as yours.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

Wow....thank you for sharing your story. Truly an inspiration.
There are no coincidences when it comes to HP's work....I loved it when you reached into your purse for something to write on and instead pulled out the Alanon booklet. How's that for a message from your HP? I'm glad you listened to it.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you big sis for sharing your story. you are doing so well in your recovery. you have been an inspriation to me & a lot of others.you are shining.hugs,
Old 04-20-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That was great! Thx so much for sharing!
Wasn't one of your goals to write a book? You have such a gift with words and I would certainly buy a copy! :-)
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Yup, Ann said it best and everyone agreed as do I! You have always been an inspiration to me but you know that.

So glad the others were blessed to hear you speak and to hear what you have to offer. They are the lucky ones.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

((Sis))
I know you were one of the first ones to make me feel welcome when I came here and you're still with me to this day. You are an inspiration and I've been blessed having you walk with me through my own recovery.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
cmc

Sis,
Thanks so much for sharing your story here with us. Your words and special touch have guided me in my journey many times. Thanks again for all the wonderful ESH you give here to all of us every day.
big hugs,
cmc
Old 04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

BigSis, Thank you for sharing your story. You know that you have always been a favorite of mine ( and I bet your home group feels the same way) and given me a lot of hope and many words of wisdom. Thanks you again for everything you do for us on this forum. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

you are an inspiration............
Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

BigSis,
I'm so happy you're HERE.

Hugs to you, my friend
Old 04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((((((Sis)))))))))

It took a whole lot of courage to tell your story. I know it did. But what an inspiration you are!! My Gosh, woman, you always offer such a positive outlook here...You always point me in the direction I need to go. You are such a blessing to me...and so many others...You really have no idea.

You Rock Big Sis!!
And I'm so grateful to have 'met' you.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Living in the light

BigSis, thanks for sharing your courageous story with us. You so deserve to feel loved and you are by many here as well. You shine and inspire here time and again. I find what you say helps me very much.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

(((sis)))

Your story is amazing and so are you