Is Life Really A Lesson?

Old 04-18-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Is Life Really A Lesson?

The last couple of weeks have been just awful. I have always thought Life was all about lessons. What we learn from life experiences. Some of us use these lessons and sometimes we think why did that happen etc etc. Like lets say you smash up the car or one of your children gets hurt.
I have to say I am still trying to work out what the hell I am learning from this, because this is one of the biggest tests Ive ever had.
Im a fighter but heck Im ready to chuck it in...
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
full of hope

Dont, chuck it in!

It's been my experience that when you get to that point it's kind of like being near the top of the mountain...all downhill from here on out....(until the next lesson, of course).

I, too, believe in the lessons of life. But I've learned sometimes it can take quite awhile and another view to see them!!

You are doing great, Just!

, Cheryl
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

Walking is easy when the road is flat .. God gave us mountains , so we can learn how to climb .

Straight from a good ole country song ! Not a huge fan of country but soooo many lessons are in so many of the songs !

When the road gets tough you gotta keep pushing through . At the end of that road you will be better and stronger and ready to face lifes next challenge . We all feel like throwing in the towel sometimes but thats too easy .

Keep moving forward , you're doing just fine !

M
Old 04-18-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

stay strong, justso. blessings, k
Old 04-18-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt the same way as you last week, Just...but I worked through the horrible sequence that was the past couple weeks, which included me breaking down into tears on multiple occassions (I'm a 6'3", 240lb grown man - that's not a pretty sight! lol), but looking back, I DID learn a LOT from all of the garbage that I went through, and I feel much better about everything, including myself, now that I stuck it out and reached the light at the end of the tunnel.

I know things can seem hopeless sometimes...but you'll get through it one way or another - I promise!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

justjo - i think life really is about lessons, but as chero mentioned... it might be awhile before you're able to see what the lesson really is about and why it happened. take it one day at a time! if you're unhappy now, do something to make yourself happy, even if only for a little bit.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ponder the same question, many, many times.
I question it more usually when I'm in the valleys and when I'm
just tired from it all.Then I relized...I'm just tired.
So i just allow myself to rest and try not to think of anything.
A time out. I just do and enjoy the simple things and spend time in nature.
There's beauty in nature for me, so I take it all in.
Sometimes I observe life happening in nature

If my life were lessons...I've failed them all.
I've learned from my mistakes most of the time, but not all of the time.
Sometimes i make the same mistakes over , and over again.

Now, I just put one foot in front of the other and experience whatever
life maybe, today. Just for today....I've made enough plans and it
didn't go according to my plans...But I'm moving forward inspite of it.

i guess, life is an experience.....I might be wrong...but oh well.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You sound like you are in a rut--so sorry for your pain--try and find a way to distractt yourself
sometimes we think too much!!!!
Attached Images
Old 04-18-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Hey Justjo, did you used to watch Sienfeld? Remember when NBC picks up the "Jerry" TV show and George, in a panic, tells his therapist:

George: "God would never let me be successful. He'd kill me first. He'll never let me be happy."
Therapist: "I thought you didn't believe in God?"
George: "I do for the bad things."

I love that character - he's so us, isn't he? Insecure, doesn't believe in miracles but believes in divine retribution. The truth is that life is a ballbuster sometimes. It just plain is. I know that first hand by the way as I've just had the suckiest year of my life. As for the lesson ... well, I always thought it was up to us to find our own lessons and create our own purpose. I don't think we can get the lesson until we're through the malestrom though. Until then we too can benefit from the "one day at a time" philosophy.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You know though....

Maybe what happens sometimes is a lesson for somebody else, or that we have to go through something because we will need that knowledge and strength to help another person walk through it.

I have to learn the same lessons over and over sometimes.... especially when it comes to love. Looking back I can see what I have learned in some of the situations ... but there are a few that I just dont know why.... and all I can guess is that today I just dont need to know.

All we can do is our best.... that is for anything. If I give it my best and I get hurt, or it falls apart.... I can still feel good that I gave it all I had.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I am so thankful I found this website. You are all inspiring to me. Most of the time I am pretty strong, organised, have good life, all of that but I cant remember the last time I felt well, content.
Yes, i am really tired I guess and i love nature too, so this weekend Ill take your advise SaTiT and get outside with nature.
One day I just want to be rid of all of this and the next day my Sister has called and it starts again.
Can You believe now she thinks she is pregnant to a guy she met in rehab only a couple of months ago. My god, its disastrous, she has been in rehab heck I dont know. 10 times, is currently smashed to the eyeballs.
A big mess.
I wonder why I dont have a drinking problem!!!! Might have one tonight/
Old 04-19-2007, 03:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh justjo, I feel your pain!

I had an incredibly stressful day yesterday with ALL the addicts in my family. Just got away from a mean abusive A, and am now dealing with a whole bunch of A family members. EVERYBODY is in my business. "Why are you doing this? Why aren't you doing that? Maybe your mother doesn't really want you here? Are you faking your post-op limitations? How much are you going to contribute? Mom doesn't like your little dog!" QUACK....QUACK.....QUACK! People love to butt their noses in where they don't belong. People love to try and control you, but the one thing that I found out for sure is that MISERY LOVES COMPANY!!!!

I'm taking it one day at a time....one moment at a time, and I have been applying my Alanon 24/7. I know there is a reason for all this crap that I've gone through and I continue to go through. For sure..it is making me a stronger person.

When I look back at my life....it is the most painful experiences that have taught me the greatest lessons.

Hold on tight, Justjo! This too shall pass!
Grace
Old 04-19-2007, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Grace, thankyou, I cried when I read your post. My problems dont seem that bad.
It is hard isnt it. I try to be really strong but it gets overwhelming.
I have had alcoholics all through my family too. Grandfathers, uncles, brother, sister, my 23 son was/is a drug/alcoholic. But thats another story..he is fine now. Love him so much. I have just got to know him so much better now.
A big hug hey?
And Im still crying, quietly though.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
full of hope

Hey, Just, I've been popping and checking on you daily and every time I come in here this poem pops in my head! Hope today is a better day!

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When cares are pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns.
And many a fellow turns about,
When he might have won, had he stuck it out.
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt.
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.