Halfway Houses

Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Halfway Houses

Anyone have any opinions either way on halfway houses? My ad has just come out of a 30 day rehab stay and then 10 days in jail....now needs some structure and help getting on her feet. (jail was because she missed court appearance while in rehab.) Anyway, I have heard some horror stories about halfway houses and wonder if that is the general concensus....Not sure what her alternatives are at this point, though.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well i think that halfway house can be helpful if that is what the ra wants and needs.

in time your daugther will discover her own way and her own recovery.

My abf is currently in a halfway house for about a week. he is doing well there. his time at a halfway house it didn't go so well because he was not willing to accept things about himself to allow him to begin his road to recovery.

the only other option is she goes home (whether that be you or her own) a shelter or a friends.

maybe look into a 3/4 house buit generally they want you to go to a halfway house first. but have her do the looking into it is her recovery.

peace
Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My daughter spent 3 months in a halfway house after a 28 day in paitent stay. It was very good for her. But as unsure of said, she was ready. She had 6 1/2 months clean after that. She recently relapsed for 2 weeks. She learned what she needs to do to be clean. She learned the tools. But it is up to her to use them. IMHO I think the more sober/clean time a person gets, the more they learn they can do it. Life can be good. She was also lucky, she had a pretty good group of people in at the time she was there. the halfway house staff had just "cleaned house" & gotton some of the trouble makers out. Even if there were some not so fine people there, your daughter might befriend someone that is awesome. You never know, but for my daughter, it helped her imensly. look into some things, check them out, & follow your gut. But heads up, there can be a waiting list to get in. (((Hugs)))
Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

My son went to an Oxford House (sober living arrangement) and was there for over a year. It was a very good place for him.

Not so much for daughter, she just wasn't ready.

But in both cases, it was better than at MY house!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

to what Big sis said re better than at OUR house. SO TRUE!

My AD was in an halfway house setting for a year (after being in an inpatient rehab for 3 months) and I think it did her a tremendous amount of good. Just kept her around the recovery community longer so she could soak up some more recovery.

Of course what works for one might not work for another. But for my daughter, I do think it helped. She's sober today and she still does it one day at a time with meetings nearly everyday. Lord willing, she will celebrate her 4th sober b'day in about 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

my rah went into a halfway house and is now clean 4 months, i think that the longer the addict is in some type of structured enviroment the better, but the choice is up to her. if she is ready then she may do just fine. still praying for ya.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the answers - I'm still struggling with my inner self to let her handle all these things for herself....wonder why that's so hard? Suppose I think I know everything and everything I know is right? Hmmmm need to think about this. Anyway, the director of the house we...no make that she's looking at...willl only speak with her now, reminding me again to butt out. She's driving there as we write and yes, there is a waiting list. But praying it will give her the support and structure she so desperately needs to stay c & s. Everyone here is awesome and I pray for the numerous wonderful people and situations they're in.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

don't do for your daughter what she can do for herself. it will help her take pride in her good decisions. and force her to own/take accountability for her bad choices. blessings, k

(halfway houses are a great opportunity, in my opinion.)

nice to meet you, toodles! like your screenname! k
Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Toodles, Our 27 yr. old son is in a halfway, mission, homeless shelter. Been there for 3 weeks. It was that or nothing. He couldnt live with us anymore and his girlfriend kicked him out. During his 3rd detox they said this was a good place for him. Took him 4 days to decide. We took him there. They have many rules, random drug testing and he has to get a job and do at least 5 meeting a week there or they will provide transportation to others. Also jobs for a while. He seems to enjoy it and actually said that he thinks it would be good for him to be there at least 6 months or more!!!! Good environment, support system and they are all there to help each other. So far so good. He passed the random drug test on Sat. and said that for a change he didnt have to worry about passing it. Because he knew he would!. Very proud of himself. So we are hoping that this will be the turning point for him. Hope this gave you some insight. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Toodles,
Halfway houses are good, if they're committed to remaining sober.

The halfway houses that both of my sons were in, were in unfavorable neighborhoods, and they had rules that needed to be followed. Attending a certain amount of meetings per week, and obtaining a job.

Netiher of my sons lasted very long at any halfway house they resided in, they have problems following rules.

Although I must add, just for today, both are sober.

Hugs,