Abusing Methadone

Old 04-16-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Abusing Methadone

I am not even sure I should write this post... As I shouldn't ask questions about things I may or may not be ready to know the truth about...

R(?)ABF is currently taking methadose.
I read in a few earlier posts regarding the HBO Addiction series that the potential to abuse the drug for addicts is likely.

BF says that he his doctor and him are using it as part of a recovery plan. I don't believe a word that he says.

So, now I have another bit of info to let me worry and obsess about, that at any given moment he can decide to abuse his medication.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

I know some people say methodone is helpful. From my experience with the people I know (know these folks firsthand), it's only led to another addiction. And then they had to go through the methodone withdrawal. The only person I know who actually went through with getting off the methodone soon relapsed and was right back with his drug of choice. He's now in a rehab where they teach the 12 steps and NO drugs are used to get you off of another drug and he is a believer of that method vs using drugs to kick drugs.

Just my opinion here, but it's just switching drugs to me. Taking a drug to get off a drug? Rehab places that I know that are reputible don't go that route.

Best thing for you to try and do is get the focus back on you and your recovery. Worrying about this methodone isn't going to change his situation with ABF. He has to decide if he's really had enough of drug using.

Hugs and prayers for you and your ABF,

Hangin' In
P.S. And I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but I've found that my freedom in recovery has come from seeing things as they really are.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Does he get a daily dosage or does the Dr. give him a prescription? I know AS's AGF has to go to the clinic every morning for her dose, which I think is a good way to do it to keep the potential for abuse down. I know when AS was on Suboxone, he had a bottle full of pills to sell to his addict friends and I suspect only took them when he couldn't get the dope.

You are right though..if he's going to abuse, he's going to abuse...nothing you can control, so it's probably best if you let it go...that said, if I had proof that there was abuse of the methadone going on, I would have to at least confront...then get lied too naturally, but I always let AS know that he's not 'getting something over on me' even when I know there's nothing I can do about it...
Old 04-16-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you all.
I don't know why I'm getting so worked up about this...
All the obsessing and nausea just hit me full force regarding this issue. I know I'm spinning my wheels but I feel so helpless and sad and stupid.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Heather,

You are not stupid. You're mixed up with someone who has an addiction. That makes most normal folks crazy, upset, worried, concerned, scared and the list goes on and on.

Best remedy for that I've found is to post here, go to my meetings and listen to those who are doing better than I am. Obviously they have something I want, so I'm going to follow their lead and do what they do. That's what I've been doing for 4 years and my life is better.

Keeping you in my prayers, Heather, cause I know how you feel. But hear me and hear me good...you are not stupid. My gut tells me that and my gut doesn't lie.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
P.S. And don't argue with me on this one, about you being stupid or not stupid. I'm old and I don't back down easily when I know I'm right.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

keeping you and yours in my prayers.