Her first day

Old 04-16-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Her first day

So for those of you who read my first post/thread...thank you. Things have been much better between my agf and me this week, as she's been much more conscious of the things she says to me when she gets stressed. We actually have a "code word" worked out that, when it's said, means it's time to take a time out and cool off. Things are feeling like they were when we first started dating, and that's good.

I'm so proud of her - today she started the new job that I helped find for her with one of my client companies, (I'll never say I "got" her that job - she's the one who had to interview, not me), and tomorrow's her six-month birthday. I'm happy I can be there to stand behind her through this, as she's one of the strongest people I've ever met.

And her ability to maintain her sobriety inspired me to quit smoking again - so far, I'm 2 and a half hours into it (since I woke up - had my last cigarette last night before bed), and haven't even really thought about having a cigarette yet, which is amazing because normally I've had at least 3-4 by this time in the morning.

Anyway, just wanted to share the good news story after my depressing thread from last week...lol. I know she's going to be awesome at her new job. Now I have to go order some flowers to be delivered to her at her office
Old 04-16-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bv, great news for you and your girlfriend!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update;glad to hear things are going better for you.

Good about the smoking..it DOES get easier....just stick with it.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

isn't recovery rewarding? blessings, bv1979 - thanks for sharing such good news. k
Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hope3

Thanks for sharing your good news.

It is very inspiring, hope3
Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

thats great bv . very happy for you and her . keep posting to let us know how her job is going ..
Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name View Post
Thanks for the update;glad to hear things are going better for you.

Good about the smoking..it DOES get easier....just stick with it.

Oh, I know...I quit for 3 and a half years once before. I think that's why I feel like it's easier today...I know what to expect as far as physical withdrawals, and I also remember how much better I felt during that time that I had stopped smoking.

I'm now about 7 hours in, and still haven't even thought about a cigarette.

Anyway, my girlfriend's first day is going well. She just came to my office to have lunch, and was telling me all about her different job duties as the dispatcher for a busy plumbing company. She seems really happy, and that makes me happy.

I hope everyone else is having a great day! Thanks to everyone for all of the kind responses!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So her first day of work is in the books, and she's already said "I felt like a normal person again today," which was awesome - because that's all she's been saying for a few months now, how she wants to feel "normal."

And today's her six month birthday! I have my son with me until 8:30 tonight, so she and I can't really do anything special to "celebrate" since we both get up at 4:45 a.m. for work, but I'm going to make her dinner tomorrow night.

Things keep looking better and better every day - I'm hoping that what I went through last week was the bottom point for our relationship as a whole, because I don't know if I could go through a stretch like that again and come out okay on the other end. It was draining for me...but now seeing how happy she is, it made it worth the pain that I went through because I'm happier now too.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Glad things are better! Keep up the good news-and keep posting-
It is amazing how when we remember ourselves how rewarding it can be!

(((hugs)))
Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh - sorry for blabbering, but I'm also on day two of not smoking - yesterday went EXTREMELY easy compared to what I remembered last time...but I think part of it is the few times I did think about smoking, I then immediately thought about two things.

1. My six year old son - I want to be around to see him grow up and have a family of his own.

2. If my girlfriend can maintain her sobriety with all that's happened in the past few months, then I can do something that I already had done (I quit for three and a half years at one point) without complaining.

I haven't had any physical withdrawals at all. Last time, I got the shakes REALLY bad after just half a day. Does the mental habit in me still want one? Sure...but I don't feel like I'm irritable or anything because I'm not smoking...

It's a good feeling.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

woo hoo keep it up! Keep dancing!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~Amanda~

Keep up the good work. Hope everything with your gf is doing good also...
Old 04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The two of you are very strong people--good you found each other...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
9ced375.jpg (22.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have you checked into the site here on SR for quiting smoking, I can't think exact listing, but of course can't miss it.

Years ago I tried the 5 day plan, that program is really a good way to go, just my comment, not advise as you have done it before. I was thinking you could encourage someone there.
Caring hugs to you both
Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Actually...on day three now...and I think because I was mentally prepared, and this time, I did it on my own terms, it's been easy. I put out my last cigarette on Sunday night...had two left in the pack, and crushed the pack right in front of my girlfriend, threw them in the trash, looked at her and said "That's it. I'm done."

And I really haven't struggled with it since then. I'm sure there'll be times when cravings come up - but so far, it just hasn't been a problem.

Thanks to everyone!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!! Smoking is very hard to stop--especially in the middle of chaos. Good the two of you are working together to stop both your addictions--a new day!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
9ced281.gif (12.3 KB, 14 views)