Notices

My life has gone to hell and I'm going to fix it

Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My life has gone to hell and I'm going to fix it

Where to begin....I first started drinking when I was 14. A friend's "cool" older brother and his friends offered to buy us some beer, and we agreed. Ever since, my life has been spiraling downwards and it's time to change that. I will turn 21 in the next week, and I don't even want to drink anymore haha.

Alcohol has cost me multiple jobs, a scholarship and then college as a whole. It's cost me my family life, my high school sweetheart of 4.5 years and not to mention the enormous financial problems.

Yet, I feel good today. Day 1, probably closer to 18 hours. I haven't been sober for more than a few days at a time since I was 18; Enough is Enough, I will beat this every day for the rest of my life.

Sorry for the rant, but it's 8:20 am and I needed to write it out somewhere.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiyas Long and Welcome!!!

Glad your here, please keep reading and posting, this place is jam packed full of wisdom and support!!!! Keep us posted on how you are doing. Stay Strong!
Liss
Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GURUJAKE

Welcome to SR! It's an amazing thing when you see someone at a young age come to the realization that alcohol has negatively impacted their life..and more impressively, they are prepared to do something about it. I wish that I had that clarity when I was 21. Alcohol clearly was having a similar impact in my life, however it had to hit me over the head for several more years in order for me to want to do something about it. There are lots of young, sober people in AA where I live and I can only assume that in Texas it's the same. It's a great place to find support as you begin your journey. Best of luck and keep posting!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's not a rant, that's inspirational! Man, oh man, if you get sober now! I've said it before here - you have the keys to the kingdom...the world will be at your feet! Go for it!! I only wish I had!! 21!! Make this your priority and you will not be sorry. Sober is most definitely better. Let us know how you're doing.
Mike in Boston
Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, longwaytogo. you're making a very smart decision. i look forward to getting to know, so keep posting. blessings, k

(you thinking about aa meetings?)
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, longway, I'm glad you're here and seeking a better way of life. Awesome people here will help you along. Please keep posting and let us know how it goes.

Rowan
Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Longwaytogo, I wish I had seen what you are seeing now 31 years ago, but I was young and bullet proof. I became even more pig headed as my alcoholism grew stronger, I reached the point where I had no choice but to drink or I got very ill.

Long story short, AA saved my butt.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome long way to go.

You made a hard decision, good for you.

Stick with those thoughts of determination.

Hope3
Old 04-16-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hey longwaytogo, feel free to join the Don't quitter's

thread, everyday we say we are not quitting today.

Heres the link, hope3

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1291743
Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Longwaytogo,
It's heartening to see another young person on the forum. Good for you for making the decision to stop. Make sure you are safe enough to detox on your own. The first 72 hours without alcohol are precarious. You probably aren't going to feel too hot the first five days or so. You might feel depressed for the first week or two, but it gets so much better... I promise. I'm not telling you those things to scare you but rather to warn you so that you don't think something is wrong. Keep your goal of sobriety in mind. Take care of yourself. Commend yourself for having the courage to recognize your problem. I hope you look into AA. There are young people meetings that I think are really great for meeting other people in our age range. Any meeting at all is good for getting reinforcement about why you should stay sober. Wishing you the very best of luck. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey livefree, I appreciate your perspective. I'm still a little fuzzy/having problems concentrating, but I finally got a good night's sleep last night - only randomly woke up once. I'm actually enrolling in an outpatient program to stay a bit more committed, as I'm a bit uncomfortable attending an AA meeting. Mon/Wends/Thurs, 6-9 PM. I'm actually excited about that haha.

Thanks again for all the kind words guys, day 3 and going strong. I read this forum whenever I wake up and right before I go to bed, keeps me positive
Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good work on the three days..

Welcome to SR...You will love it here...
Old 04-18-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Between earth and heaven

Congrats and keep going I wish I had stayed sober at 21....wow life would have been limitless...

keep posting we are all here
Old 04-18-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sober at 21, way to go. It's inspirational to see. I too hope to kick the drink, I just keep falling back a little, but each time I hope to get further.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I'm actually enrolling in an outpatient program to stay a bit more committed, as I'm a bit uncomfortable attending an AA meeting. Mon/Wends/Thurs, 6-9 PM. I'm actually excited about that haha.
longwaytogo maybe I am the master of stupid questions but why in the world would a outpatient program make you feel comfortable and AA would make you uncomfortable?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i think it's great that you're doing an outpatient program. aa is a great choice also. there's no such thing as too much help and support, that's for sure. blessings, k
Old 04-18-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
longwaytogo maybe I am the master of stupid questions but why in the world would a outpatient program make you feel comfortable and AA would make you uncomfortable?
It's hard for me to put into words, I'd just feel more comfortable around the people in an outpatient program rather than an AA meeting. Beyond that, it's people more my age, and thus we can better relate to each others problems. Plus, my parents feel it's a very good idea, and are proud of me for making it. Thus, it's already helping to rebuild some bad relationships.

Once I've gone through the program, I doubt I'd have a problem with AA meetings, I just prefer to start at the outpatient program point.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Once I've gone through the program, I doubt I'd have a problem with AA meetings, I just prefer to start at the outpatient program point.
Cool, I think out patient and inpatient programs are great, but most of them are not available long term.... by that I mean life time, nor are they available world wide. I got started into AA while I was in detox, we had mini AA meetings in De-tox and then went to real AA meetings later. The mini ones did make the real ones easier feel comfortable in.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Cool, I think out patient and inpatient programs are great, but most of them are not available long term.... by that I mean life time, nor are they available world wide. I got started into AA while I was in detox, we had mini AA meetings in De-tox and then went to real AA meetings later. The mini ones did make the real ones easier feel comfortable in.
Well, from my understanding of the program, it's like your detox in that it uses the 12 steps of AA et cetera. Thus, I think it'd help introduce me to them and from there I could likewise move into a regular AA meeting. Appreciate your feedback, just ran on the treadmill for an hour and I feel awesome Time to write my research paper though haha.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i bet your parents are really proud, longway. i have a daughter about your age working on recovery, and everyday she stays clean and sober, is a blessing and proud day for all of us. k