Notices

Wake-up call...

Old 04-16-2007, 02:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eddie Van Halen wannabe

Wake-up call...

Last night I got a pretty good wake-up call...

I have been sober for 7 days now with hopefully many more to come.

The ex-husband of a friend of my wife had passed away at age 51. We went to the funeral home and everyone was pretty tore up; especially his two kids (19 and 16 years old). Even my wife's friend, the ex-wife, was hurting.

Here's the kicker - he died from an unintentional overdose of prescription drugs and alcohol. The story I got from my wife was that he had been hooked pretty bad for some time. Their divorce was only a few years ago as my wife's friend just could not handle it anymore. She had moved back in with the kids numerous times and it just got to be too much.

He would go to rehab and be OK for a little bit, but then he would go back into the dark spiral which is addiction.

My wife was really nervous going in to the funeral home; I asked her why and she said "this is hitting too close to home". I played stupid, but I knew what she meant.

On the way home she said "How could he choose this for his kids? Why couldn't he just stop?" At that point I had to say that she was looking at it from the wrong angle. I told her that unless she had ever experienced true addiction that she could NEVER understand the motivation behind it and that asking questions like she did was too simplistic. I don't think that he CHOSE it to happen.

I almost did the same thing myself. I kept drinking knowing in the back of mind that eventually I would lose her, the kids, and everything else. I just DID NOT CARE because the "monkey" was too strong.

Anyways, I am on Campral along with a host of other drugs (for various reasons...blood pressure, cholesterol, depression, blood thinner) and it scared me as I looked in that guy's casket. It made me realize how bad I was playing with the devil as far as drinking while using these drugs (even though they are all with a legitimate prescription). I was not taking them consistantly because I did not care while I was drinking. I'm glad to say that in the last week I have been taking them exactly like I am supposed to.

The sad thing is that it took this situation and not my wife's pleading to make everything clear.

Here's to being sober for one week. Next thing you know it will be one month...then one year...then one lifetime (God willing).
Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Stay strong jjaam! yes sometimes it takes really hard stuff to put an end to the addiction game. I too realized i had to stop when i was abusing max doses of sleeping pills. God chose to keep me here. I woke up the other day and i said: i'm alive! i can't leave my family hurting.
It's sad that your friend died. But that's exactly what addiction can do. It is a devil on earth that eats your guts. A week is amazing, i'm on day 12 now, too.Lets make them years and years.

Glad you shared that story, i will remember, i Will remember!it's close to the heart
Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hope3

Thanks for sharing jjaaam, it's hard to admit

that something could take our power away. Thats

why most of us experience denial for so long..

Best wishes, keep coming back, hope3
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink

jjaaam,

Sad story but so glad you have a wake up call. It's things like this that God put's in our lives to remind how lucky we are. Thanks for sharing.