Language of Letting Go - April 16

Old 04-16-2007, 02:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - April 16

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting Things Happen

We do not have to work so hard at gaining our insights. Yes, we're learning that painful and disappointing things happen, often for a reason and a higher purpose. Yes, these things often work out for good. But we don't have to spend so much time and energy figuring out the purpose and plan for each detail of our life. That's hypervigilence!

Sometimes, the car doesn't start. Sometimes, the dishwasher breaks. Sometimes, we catch a cold. Sometimes, we run out of hot water. Sometimes, we have a bad day. While it helps to achieve acceptance and gratitude for these irritating annoyances, we don't have to process everything and figure out if it's in the scheme of things.

Solve the problem. Get the car repaired. Fix the dishwasher. Nurse yourself through the cold. Wait to take the shower until there's hot water. Nurture yourself through your bad day. Tend to your responsibilities, and don't take everything so personally!

If we need to recognize a particular insight or awareness, we will be guided in that direction. Certainly, we want to watch for patterns. But often, the big insights and the significant processing happen naturally.

We don't have to question every occurrence to see how it fits into the Plan. The Plan - the awareness, the insight, and the potential for personal growth - will reveal itself to us. Perhaps the lesson is to learn to solve our problems without always knowing their significance. Perhaps the lesson is to trust ourselves to live, and experience, life.

Today, I will let things happen without worrying about the significance of each event. I will trust that this will bring about my growth faster than running around with a microscope. I will trust my lessons to reveal themselves in their own time.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have a saying that I use often here..."Just show up and let life happen". I use it often because I have learned that many times that is all I have to do.

I cannot change the outcome of most things, I cannot change anyone else's behaviour and I cannot change those little things that go wrong like car problems or catching a cold...so those days I just show up and let life happen.

I no longer have a need to control the universe, instead I just live the best I can every 24 hours. The load is much lighter that way.

Hugs