Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

The Athiest's wager.

Refutation of Pascal's wager...

http://atheistwager.blogspot.com/200...irst-post.html
Old 04-15-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amazingly, some theist still try to use Pascal's wager. After a little thought it is actually rather easy to refute. It's kind of funny actually. Anytime your talking with a theist who tries to envoke Pascal's wager (most of them don't know that it even has a name) you can tell how little they have thought about it.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

An interesting G*D wrestle. Only slightly less limited than the wager itself, but, to get to the point...

This has to do with recovery....how?

Please see the Welcome message by MG above.
... Debates [for the purpose of this forum] are when posters only want to express themselves and discredit the opinions of others in a disrespectful way. Attacking someone else's ideas is not appropriate. Defending a belief that doesn't relate to the purpose or topics of this forum is not appropriate. Posts that flame or mock another recovery method, spiritual belief, sexual preference, race, disability, mental illness, moderator, or member etc.. are inappropriate. Off site links with similar content are also inappropriate.
There are plenty of places on the web to bash people with spiritual/religious beliefs. Sobern Recovery is not one of them. This is a recovery site. We are here to help or be helped.

Shalom!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Teach, the link that I posted in no way flames or mocks anyone's spiritual beliefs, it is simply a logical argument in response to pascal's wager.

What this has to do with recovery is that I have been approached at meetings before and given the line that I should believe in god b/c there is no harm if I do and am wrong but great harm if I don't and am wrong. Also this has to do with recovery as a way to show people on this message board that it is okay to be a member of NA and an athiest, as I am....maybe I should have written that in my original post...
Old 04-16-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hiya, Blake!

No, your link does not flame anything or anyone.
And I'm greatful that you made your connection to recovery now. It helps all of us to stay on recovery oriented issues. And your connection certainly *is* valid. I quit cigarettes using a behavioral approach, so I completely understand.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Shalom!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
An interesting G*D wrestle. Only slightly less limited than the wager itself, but, to get to the point...

This has to do with recovery....how?

Please see the Welcome message by MG above.

There are plenty of places on the web to bash people with spiritual/religious beliefs. Sobern Recovery is not one of them. This is a recovery site. We are here to help or be helped.

Shalom!
I don't see it as being any more or less recovery related than the thread about 'New Atheists'. Bashing? Okie dokie. I'm confused...
Old 04-16-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Blake View Post
What this has to do with recovery is that I have been approached at meetings before and given the line that I should believe in god b/c there is no harm if I do and am wrong but great harm if I don't and am wrong. Also this has to do with recovery as a way to show people on this message board that it is okay to be a member of NA and an athiest, as I am....maybe I should have written that in my original post...
You really can't even ask for help and support without people proselytizing. It even happened on the b-day thread that Ann started for me. That's why I don't go to meetings even though I would really like the social interaction. Maybe I'll die because of it, but that's how I feel...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

DK,
I know you've gone though alot. And I'm sorry.
I also know you have the ability to say to proselytizers, "Not interested."
I hope you use that, rather than the alternative you suggest.

It was not Blake's post I was refering to.

Shalom!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Blake,
Good to see your posts......I have missed you on here. I hope all is well in the cooking school!