does anyone know?

Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
let it grow!

does anyone know?

we're thinking that the next time our daughter comes home drunk or high, (she black out drinks and uses, so she is completely out of it when she comes home) we are going to either take her to the emergency room or call 911. has anyone ever done this? if we call 911, does an ambulance or the police show? we're afraid that she is going to od or get alc poisoning at this point. and we're just trying to come up with a way to get her in the hands of doctors. any thoughts on this? and please don't tell me we're enabling. we scared over here. she didn't even know where she was a few nights this week. thanks, k
Old 04-14-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i think that if i was that afraid, i might would call 911, maybe do whatever it would take to make you feel better, they may even keep her long enough to detox, but know that the final decision to get clean will still be hers. keeping you and her in my prayers.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can call 911 and an officer or EMT will come out. If she is able to refuse treatment verbally then they will not be able to take her involuntarily to the hospital unless they think she has overdosed. Maybe she is mixing her drugs/alcohol and you could mention that when you call?

I'm a police officer in Texas but each state has differnt laws. I can take a person who is a threat to themselves...or others. So, basically she has to have said she was trying to commit suicide or taken an action that could kill herself. Same with the paramedics.

If you bring her to the ER they can take her blood levels and make sure she is alright but she will probably just be released after a few hours of detoxing. They may referr her to some treatment centers but it would be her choice.

This is all assuming she is an adult...over 17 here in Texas. If she's a juvenile you can take her to a facility and admit her.

Best of luck.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thanks, cajowa - she's an adult. with everything we know, i think you nailed it. we are very concerned about the alc blood levels. and at least it would getting in front of trained professionals, even if it's just for a short time. we'll take whatever help we can get over here! thanks again, k
Old 04-14-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think its a good idea. It could mean the difference between life and death. Its not enabling. God bless you
Old 04-14-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Parent, Is she doing drugs too? Last Spring I finally went in my AD's purse. She was living with us & I had told her no drugs in my house. yes I snooped. I found a bag of heroin. i didn't know what it was, so I woke her up & asked her. She said herion. I tole her to get her stuff & get out. I emptied the bag into the toilet, so she couldn't use it. Then I went to work. As soon as I got there I thought, OMG. i just blew it. I left work & went home & got the empty bag out of the garbge, & went to the police station. They were soo wonderful. An officer came over & told her she could go to jail, or rehab. She chose rehab & was clean for 6 1/2 months. The officer would stop by every now & then to see how she was doing. He truley cared. I went to a judge too. Just dropped in while he was at his daytime job, cuz long long story but she came into some $$. I was affraid she would die from her having $$$ & her addiction. He also was awesome. So what I am trying to say is go down & talk to an officer. They usually have one or two that are the ones that work on the kids w/ drug, alcohol problems. Follow your gut. Sending hugs & prayers.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK heres my take on this--I did just what you are sayin!!!I waited until my AS was passed out--dialed 911--when they got here I said I was worried he would harm himself or someone around him--they checked on him--he woke up yelling and screaming he wass so mad I called--they handcuffed him to the stretcher and took him to the detox/psych ward--where they were able to section him for a few days--that opened up the chance to detox and get some treatment--it was a huge big step towards his recovery I believe...yes yes in the end they have to do it themselves--but a little help by way of putting him in the hands of the pros didn't hurt--it helped.And saying I was afraid he would harm himself wasn't that far of a stretch because he was hurting himself everytime he picked up a drink.I do know other parents who have done this as well and had good results--I would do it again in a minute...how old is your daughter?The hospital also set him up with outpatient care and pros that could help him which I believe resulted in his being sober today-no matter what anyone thinks.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

no advise, just sending prayers for you & your daughter. i care!!! hope
Old 04-14-2007, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

parent, i know this is a tough one. have you set your boundries, like she is not allowed in your home if she is using?

oh lord, i would hate to have to make that decision about my child, but you know in al-anon, they tell us to set our boundries and stick to them.

i'm sorry, i know how difficult this must be to lock her out, but at this point, it sounds as if you need to take care of yourself and let he find her own way.

i'm so, so very sorry.

blessings to you
Old 04-14-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

easier said than done for a parent of an A--you want to be sure you have exhausted every means of getting them somewhere--where they can learn and hopefully want to stop drinking--sometimes it has to be forsed on them--like dialing 911-having them sectioned legally--should be embarrasing to some parents but not me--the alternative was much worse-death of a childstatistically forced treatment does have a good success rate
Old 04-14-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a drunk and my daughter is out using...but if she came to my house I'd call and do anything I could to break the cycle. I may have drank for many years but I would never let any one that was in need of intervention go out of my house with out it.......I've been on the wagon many times thru the years ---my daughter is into drugs and wont come around me........she knows what I'll do.............I may be an alcoholic but I've never been in denial and I think any change beats no change---just my opinion...
Old 04-14-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((((ParentRecovers)))))))

It's a scary situation, when your child comes home and you fear they're going to die from drugs/alcohol.
I'm not sure if you were here, but last year, I put a thread up about the night i called 911 on my son.
He had been released for home arrest, (something, I would not recommend, but was stupid at the time and didn't know any better.lol)and had only been out for 1 week, when I came home from work to him acting very strange.
I was fixing dinner and he was in his room.
He came out, was singing, hugging me, and being very silly.
I knew something was wrong.
I followed him into his bedroom and he was lying down, smackin' himself in the head, and saying, "get outta there. Just get outta there."
I told hubby to come into the room. He asked as if he was on something.
Of course, as said no.
Eventually, I had to do something. I'd never seen him this way before.
I called 911 and told them that my son may be overdosing.
An ambulance came, with 2 emt's.
As refused to go with them. They took vitals and sat with him for about an hour. All the while, I'm freaking out and offering these nice, young men, friggin' cookies.
After an hour, as finally came down and seemed fine.
The next morning, we called probation officer and had as taken back into custody.
It was just too much for me. I never wanted to ever witness that again.
Ever!
As knew he'd messed up, and allowed the sheriff's department into the house and he was arrested for violating probation.
What shocked us the most...
The drug test came back negative for drugs. At the time he was heavy into heroin, so there was no way he hadn't used.
He admitted later that the test was screwed up, because he did, indeed, do too much heroin that night.
I'm so glad I called in the emergency. It would have killed me if something would have happened to my son, right under my nose.
So....
I'd make the call or take her to the hospital.
After the drama is over, I'd have her find somewhere else to go.
You don't need that kind of responsibility for your adult daughter anymore.
You have gone through too much, and put yourselves through too much due to her addiction. Jmho.
Saying a prayer for you, your family, and special prayers for your daughter.
From one mom to another...much love.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i really appreciate all your posts. we've done alanon/open aa meetings each day this week, and that is really helping us. daughter is teetering. we are not ready to make her leave, we just aren't. we've started deadbolting the doors at night, based on the time she should be home from work and planned aa meetings. at least then, we can get some sleep, knowing - she is not coming home. yes, there is alcohol and drugs involved in the relapse. she's meeting with some folks who manage outpatient programs this week. we will call 911 next time, it at least sends the message that we know our limits as far as far as being able to help her. we tell her we love her everyday.

one day at a time.

blessings, k