drinking and hep c treatment

Old 04-13-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking and hep c treatment

My AH has hep C and just started treatment - amazingly, he's not suffering terrible side effects, only tiredness. Yesterday he learned that his liver functions were good, and to celebrate, he went out drinking. When he called home to let me know what he was doing, I was amazed at his choice, and then worried about his health. His response was that "it was his body, his health, his choice" and that he was going to drink.

I just wondered if others knew of instances where people receiving hep C treatment continued to drink - and how that affected their treatment. Our nurse was very clear on the need for my AH to remain off alcohol - he was supposed to be 6 months sober before even receiving treatment and he lied about that - now he'll lie about this as well, especially as it doesn't seem his lab results will give him away.

I know this is his battle and I can't choose his path, but I'm feeling very angry/worried with his choice - not only does he put his health in jeopardy, but it also costs $500.00 out of pocket a month, which puts a strain on our finances.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Our nurse was very clear on the need for my AH to remain off alcohol."

I think that is your answer. Hep C will compromise the health of your husband's liver (in the long run) and so does the alcohol. Seems to me that your husband is just begging for a liver transplant. It is truly frightening that, even in the face of a true health crisis, they just don't get it.

I'm sorry that you are going through this. It just sucks. And sadly, it is his body and he must decide for himself that he MUST stop drinking, or die.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

sorry to hear about all that you are going through . as if his diagnosis isnt difficult enough to deal with now you have him drinking on top of it . its a shame because even the nurses telling him not to drink isnt enough , hes certainly not going to listen to you .

i wish you luck and prayers
Old 04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Well yeah, this will kill him. From what you say, he really does not care.
I think it's time for you to look to your FUTURE.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Drinking and Hep C is like adding gasoline to a fire. Hep C damages your liver in the long run and alcoholc only accelerates the process. If you really want answers to all your questions re: Hep C and drinking, there is a great liver support group that is a wealth of knowledge. There are people on there that have been thru this and know first hand, along with ALOT of medical information (my AH has alcoholic liver disease and still continues to drink also). Its called delphiforums.com liver failure support group. I know it will help answer all your questions.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did you have yourself tested for Hep C too just to be on the safe side?

Earthworm
Old 04-14-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, strongone. i hope you can get some answers here. keep posting! k
Old 04-16-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you

Thanks for all the replies - many of you told me what I already knew - I did have myself tested and I don't have hep c - I am greatful for that. Again, all the replies provided insight and reminded I'm not alone with my struggle....