Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dreamer

Oxford House

Question--what is an Oxford house?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

If you put the term into a search engine (like Google) you should get to their site. The quote below is from their website....

All Oxford Houses have in common these characteristics:

The House must be democratically self-run.

The House membership is responsible for all household expenses.

The House must immediately expel any member who uses alcohol or drugs. Which each house must fulfill in order to obtain and retain its Oxford House Charter.

Oxford House is a concept in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction. In its simplest form, an Oxford House describes a democratically run, self-supporting and drug free home. Parallel to this concept lies the organizational structure of Oxford House, Inc. This publicly supported, non-profit 501(c)3 corporation is the umbrella organization which provides the network connecting all Oxford Houses and allocates resources to duplicate the Oxford House concept where needs arise.
The number of residents in a House may range from six to fifteen; there are houses for men, houses for women, and houses which accept women with children. Oxford Houses flourish in metropolitan areas, such as New York City and Washington D.C. and thrive in such diverse communities, as Hawaii, Washington State, Canada and Australia; but they all abide by the basic criteria.

Each House represents a remarkably effective and low cost method of preventing relapse. This was the purpose of the first Oxford House established in 1975, and this purpose is served, day by day, house after house, in each of over 1,200 houses in the United States today.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dreamer

Thank you for the clarification.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My definition of Oxford House

It's a place that has saved my son's life. He's bonded with the other guys, they look out for each other, I don't have to watch him anymore.
Yes, it's democratically run, my son was just elected president...which means he has to go to all the chapter meetings (local houses), pay the dues, see which houses need help, which don't, etc.
He's supposed to go out with a bunch of other presidents to approve or disapprove of a new house right in my area. The women want a "with kids" house, but financially, they have too many open beds in the area and men are on a waiting list.
I think personally, that Oxford House is my HP's answer to all my prayers.
The rules are strict, but not as strict as a halfway house. After they are there for a month, they can even stay out all night, if they call in.
I cannot applaud them enough.
Hope this helps.
Love, SM
PS..they have to take drug tests if any member thinks they are using. If they fail, they have 15 mins. to get out and 30 days to remove all their belongings. I LOVE the no relapse thing. It's the only way for a drug addict.

Last edited by Barbdee; 04-13-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: PS