Notices

Day 1 Tomorrow

Old 04-13-2007, 03:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 Tomorrow

Ok....Tried several times on my own (with little success obviously) so here I am.
Beer is my choosen poison, administered at home 12 to 18 a session- three to five times a week.
I am fortunate that my wife is tolerant and probably because I drink at home I have not experienced a lot of the serious social disasters that have struck others.(Though sometimes I think it would be easier to quit if my wife was less tollerant)

My addiction seems to be psychological rather than physical. I get up in the morning and swear that is it-no more. But at ten or eleven in the morning a thought will strike me that I want a beer and thats it. Thats all I'll think about till I get home and have one. And now it's got to the stage that every mental association I make (relaxing, mowing the lawn, folding laundry, listening to music...) involves having a drink.

So tomorrow I am going to try to break the cycle.

See how it goes I guess.

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome !

Best of luck Alex - like you, I've tried many times to quit on my own , but this is a good place to be - lots of help, support, encouragement and suggestions.

I'm finding the freedom to express how I'm feeling and - perhaps even more importantly - the chance to listen to others, is a great help in trying to quit.

It's a great comfort for me to feel I'm not alone in this anymore.

I'll see you around
D
Old 04-13-2007, 04:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lurker

man that sounds a lot like me Alex, but I was every day. Oh ya maybe a little Vadka thrown in for fun. It is good that you are quitting before it gets to everyday, because as we all know this is a progressive disease. Good luck, and keep it simple.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

alex, welcome to the world of recovery...

sounds like your not taking your beer "as directed!"

alex
My addiction seems to be psychological rather than physical.
let us know how true that is tomorrow... shake, rattle and roll... a few sweats too... hope you dont have to go through that

i almost ran out of "Yets" ... alex, please nip it now, while you have a good shot...

it does not get easier... the four horsemen are wait'n for a ride... (Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair)

good wishes...

wait'n for you tomorrow... we will be here for you...

xxoo, zip
Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hi Alex I am Martin and I am an alcoholic, you sound like me about 15 years ago. Soon after that point I was drinking daily, about 10 years ago, I, like you decided I was going to stop drinking on my own. Well the only thing I succeeded in doing was hating myself because I could not stop, I had to drink!

Long story short the only thing that worked in ending my 40 year drinking career was AA. Not only am I now sober, I am a better person and happier them I have been in over 30 years.

Good luck, I hope you have not crossed that invisible line yet... I did.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alex65 View Post
My addiction seems to be psychological rather than physical. I get up in the morning and swear that is it-no more. But at ten or eleven in the morning a thought will strike me that I want a beer
My DOC was shots of vodka.... but beer was a major player. I too did the old okay no more over and over again till I finally admitted to myself that I was not functioning i was revolving my thoughts and actions around my next drink.

.... then I found this place is hasn't been easy, I am not gonna lie.... but it is soooo worth it.

Welcome!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hello alex, nice to meet you! you've come to a great place for support. so keep posting. recovery is possible. blessings, k
Old 04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

WOW Me exactly, only after 30 years drinking beer..I graduated to a pint of 90 proof vodka to me going then maintained rest of the day with beer. this morning I was so strong its 10:30 and the I start easing toward---WHY NOT? Stay with us---I'll believe I'll do something different today---NOT DRINK!!!! The journey continues---day 2 for me-----GOOD LUCK
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Red face hay mate

alex you sound a little like me every time i do some chores/diy i feel like i deserve a beer but then carn't stop just get crosseyed/drunk and lose my memory i am proberly a lot worse than you mate anyway good luck cya
Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Alex...

Welcome to SR...Keep posting, we are glad you are here...
Old 04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Alex -

Welcome to SR. Hang in there and stay strong.

TinLizzy
Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

day 1 didn't quite work out and I feel like **** now reading your kind and supportive words.

Hopefully tomorrow will be day one.

I build boats for a hobby and years ago I would never have a beer until I had finished work on the boat.

now i start drinking half way through the day and it is begining to show in the finished product.

I start a new boat on Friday (Thursday for most of you guys- I'm in Australia)
and I am determined to do it without drinking.

Thanks and sorry
Old 04-14-2007, 02:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

nah. don't worry about it, Alex...that's the good thing about this place...we've all been there...no sorries necessary...God knows I've tried many...many.... times to stop....day 10 tomorrow on the latest attempt for me...I find this group really helps....

important thing is to keep trying...don't give up...and good luck with the boat !

see you round
D
Old 04-14-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Alex, welcome to SR.
I'm glad you're here. No need to apologize to anyone - the outcome is the same - there are people here who care.
Hope you keep coming.
Rowan
Old 04-14-2007, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alex,
Like many others your story sounds so familiar to my own. I have been sober for 18 months now and have never felt better. I too drank only beer, so there was a time in my distorted mind that I thought " I can't be an alcoholic if I only drink beer" right? Wrong! Oh so wrong. Quitting drinking was and is by far the most difficult thing I have done in my life, but the best thing I have done for myself and my family.

My wife and I were seperated for about six months during the first part of my recovery, yet she remained supportive in my quittting. We are now back together and working on a new and healthier relationship.

If you take it day by day like so many of us do I believe you too can find the strength and willingness to win out over the struggle.

Wishing you the very best!

jozran
Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hiyas Alex and Welcome to SR!

No need to apoligize.....most of us (myself included) have been there done that....unfortunately, in my case, more then once.

Glad your here. Boats huh?! Rock on....that would be cool, I love the water!
~HUGS!~ Liss