Language of Letting Go - April 13

Old 04-13-2007, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - April 13

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Enjoyment

One of the prohibitions many of us learned in childhood is the unspoken rule; don't have fun and enjoy life. This rule creates martyrs - people who will not let themselves embrace the pleasures of day-to-day living.

Many of us associated suffering with some sort of sainthood. . Now, we associate it with codependency. We can go through the day making ourselves feel anxious, guilty, miserable, and deprived. Or we can allow ourselves to go through that same day feeling good. In recovery, we eventually learn the choice is ours.

There is much to be enjoyed each day, and it is okay to feel good. We can let ourselves enjoy our tasks. We can learn to relax without guilt. We can even learn to have fun.

Work at learning to have fun. Apply yourself with dedication to learning enjoyment. Work as hard at learning to have fun as you did at feeling miserable.

Our work will pay off. Fun will become fun. Life will become worth living. And each day, well find many pleasures to be enjoyed.

Today, I will let myself enjoy life as I go through my day.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Moral/ethiconflict "Success"

I don't know what I'm supposed to make of all this but I enjoy the positivity.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What has helped me with this is to make a conscious choice as I begin each day. I can live in fear and the sadness of my son's addiction...OR...I can live in gratitude for all my blessings and say a prayer handing the care of my son over to God.

I have learned that spending my day in sadness and fear doesn't change the outcome for anyone. It's a dark place and not where I want to live my life.

I think that God intended me to see the beauty He puts in every day, I think He would like me to be happy and find peace and joy in life and live it with gratitude.

The choice is mine and just for today I will choose gratitude, love, peace and beauty.

Hugs
Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I have learned that spending my day in sadness and fear doesn't change the outcome for anyone. It's a dark place and not where I want to live my life.
Wonderful thoughts! Thanks for these daily reminders Ann.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i use to get up every morning & say"i am going to be happy today" , & i would say it out loud.it has been awhile since i have done that & i am going to go back to it.funny when i was saying that i was happy & always had a good day.thanks again for the post.