Notices

New Here

Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi everyone. I am new here and to the world of recovery. I have an awful addiction to pain meds and benzos. I don't care what it is, just as long as it takes the pain away. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas on how to make this process stick. I have been going to meetings since I started so I have been in 9 days!

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

9 days is a great start..I am glad you found SR!

Cathy
Old 04-11-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi PB,

Welcome to SR - I have a history with benzos, too (and booze ..)

9 days clean is a wonderful beginning. I'm glad you found us. Please keep posting and help us get to know you better.

Rowan
Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much! May I ask how long you have been in recovery and do you have any tips? Right now I just feel very overwhelmed but a little more hopeful than I did before.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been in recovery for coming up on 6 years. I relapsed twice with booze, and twice with pills. I have 15 months without booze, and 9 months without benefit of any pills (benzos and sleep meds).
I go to AA, and I have a sponsor who I meet with regularly - AA is what worked for me, but isn't what everyone chooses. You'll meet a whole bunch of folks who will share their own experiences with you here.
At one time, I couldn't imagine a life without my pills or booze. I hated feeling my feelings, and did anything I could to escape from them. My first sponsor bought me the textbook for Alcoholics Anonymous, and in it she wrote, 'Get ready for a life way beyond your wildest dreams' and I wanted to cry, because didn't she know that good things didn't happen to people like me? But she told me to keep coming to meetings, and guess what? She was right. It wasn't an overnight or miracle cure, but the penny did eventually drop for me. It can be the same for you. (((hugs))) to you as you begin your journey.

Rowan
Old 04-12-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

said hello on another post, but again - welcome! i hope you find the answers and encouragement you are looking for here. blessings, k