Notices

Using this forum for support/meetings

Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using this forum for support/meetings

I've relapsed again and have used this forum for support. I was talking to an AA friend this morning and she says . I use this forum because I'm too lazy to get to a meeting and that it helps me to isolate(which is an issue for me). I just recently joined this site and I find it helpful. I know that I need to call my sponser and get it a meeting. I feel both tools can be useful.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there-

I am glad to see you are still reaching out. I am still trying to learn to use tools, you should use what works for you. Trying is better than giving up. I know how you feel..........i just recently started back at AA and it is really helping. I used to feel pressured to share, but for now I am just listening. It is soothing to be in a room full of alkies like me. Granted some can get on my nerves at times. I guess I shouldnt judge b/c I get on my own nerves!!!!

Peace to you,

Lisa
Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Same here.
This site has been amazing for me. I am far from lazy and have yet to go to a meeting.
Why?? Because that isn't what I feel helps me. I do not isolate by being here. It has helped me in more ways than I can tell you by letting me be me and at the same time get the chance to feel like I am helping others.
I feel in meetings it's all ONE SET WAY. But that is just me.
My family's opinion is the only one that really matters to me and I do not want to be sharing whats wrong with me with strangers. It works for some but not me.
I am no way knocking meetings. I believe they do help people. They are just not for me.
I need to share and grow with my family. They are the ones who count the most right now.
If it weren't for this site I would have been high long ago. This is the first thing I do when I wake up and the last before I got to bed.
I have learned about myself...found comfort, support and understanding here.
I have learned what I really put my family through by reading F&F section.
I get it this way. And to tell you the truth..This site has made me less isolated. Because everytime I have a little awakening..I run and tell my family and share and we talk..cry..laugh..and just be ther like it should have been all along.
I stand by this site with my life. And everyone here.
Sorry so long but I owe you all here ALOT!!!!
I love you all.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CiD and all,

for me, it's simple...I have cerebral palsy from birth and a very very bad speech problem...even now with strangers, I can barely get my name out coherently...

I thought about AA and counsellors for years, but could never *ever* face the idea of talking with them...

it sounds like a joke, but seriously all that I've written so far would take me more than 5 minutes to say...(and then some !#$% would be sure to ask...I'm sorry ? could you repeat that ?!)

last week, in what might just be THE best idea I ever had, I thought 'hang on, I'm always on the Net...surely there's a forum equivalent of a support group or something'...and I found you guys.

I'm no longer alone. Simple.

D
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by cofusedindenver View Post
I've relapsed again and have used this forum for support. I was talking to an AA friend this morning and she says . I use this forum because I'm too lazy to get to a meeting and that it helps me to isolate(which is an issue for me). I just recently joined this site and I find it helpful. I know that I need to call my sponser and get it a meeting. I feel both tools can be useful.
Confused,

I would have to agree with your friend in one respect. I recently joined this site, but have been sober for many years. This site can be of great comfort, can provide insight into many problems, and surround us with good friends who share our pains, frustrations, and joy.

I will say however, that there for a while I became obsessed with being here. From the time I woke up until the time I went to bed, I was here all the time. I did isolate myself from others, especially my family. I've had to learn moderation and balance in every aspect of my life. Being an alcoholic, I go to extremes. I'm either too high or too low. It's all or it's nothing. I'm eager to please yet ready to fight. I think you get the picture. It's the same way with my continued recovery. I find a new AA group and before I know it I'm there seven days a week, again neglecting my family. Moderation in recovery works very well as LisaP pointed out.

Why not give yourself a chance to get some face-to-face contact. It can't hurt. We'll all be here whenever you log on. In fact, it might be interesting to share with us what you learned in meetings you've been to. Hell, not all of us know everything, not even me! HaHa

Yours in sobriety,
Ed
Old 04-11-2007, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lurker

I found that both are useful in my life. The first week or so before I was ready to admit to the world that I had been living this huge lie. I lived on this board. Through some gentle knodging I began to attend AA meetings, and found the face to face contact did have it's advantages. Now I have a sponcer, and am working the program I feel my life is on it's way. Do what you feel is right, but I do think moderation is a good thing.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beautiful post Dee! I love your sentiment.

We are truly a family here, a cyber-family, but nonetheless, a family. We are all here for the same reason and I know I take so much comfort in sharing the journey with all of you.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

can't have too many tools. blessings, k
Old 04-11-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR is my lifeline, Confused, and I hope you continue to use it as a tool in your recovery.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your recent relapse, Confused, but I'm glad that you're here.

I'm like Golfman, I can become a little obsessive about things, so I've needed to moderate how central SR becomes in my life. I enjoy getting out to meetings, but I'm on my own with a child so I can't always get to one. SR is always there - middle of the night when I can't sleep - sure enough, there is someone here who is in the same boat. And there is a certain security here - I feel less vulnerable asking certain questions.

Talking and sharing ideas about recovery is wonderful - provided I try to put these things into use in my life. No point in talking the talk if I'm not applying the principles.

Sometimes, people who aren't familiar with recovery websites become a little closed-minded and label them as 'bad' or 'escapism'. Not so.

I'm glad you're here, and I hope that you continue to post.

Rowan
Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by lostmdboy View Post
I found that both are useful in my life. The first week or so before I was ready to admit to the world that I had been living this huge lie. I lived on this board....Do what you feel is right, but I do think moderation is a good thing.
I pretty much lived here for a few days too like a lot of folks here, I can get pretty obsessive - but I'm finding, for me, a check-in in the morning and one in the evening is a pretty cool balance...

it gives me some interaction, a chance to vent, a chance hopefully to help here and there...this morning it helps me to deal with insomnia...but, lastly and most importantly,it provides me with the moxie to get out there in the real world, stay strong and get the sun on my face...pretty cool all round I reckon

sun's coming up - gotta look !

peace
D
Old 04-11-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Here we go... I went to AA for one year --got my chip...My sponser was this prim and proper women who had been sober 26 years. She told me what AA groups to stay out of and was basically like my Judgemental family..So when i relapsed I felt the same shame and pain I felt when I was young growing up. My family didnt physically abuse--but the verbal was outstanding..So I have a hard time with judgemental people and AA just happens to have a few...of course I tend to go back to what is familiar--IM NO GOOD...I guess I seek out people who fulfills that.........reckon...........