feelings rush back in

Old 04-08-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
up and out

feelings rush back in

hi everyone,
its been a while since i've posted. i've lurked a bit but became sort of complacent and did the hermit thing for a few weeks.

anyway, i'm posting about how just when you think you've kicked your feelings for someone they can sneak up and bite you in the butt. i've not had much contact with my exabf since christmas. let's see, there was the drunken phone call where he basically threatened me then there was the next drunken phone call begging me and my band to go play at a bar he was drinking at b/c the band scheduled to play cancelled. he actually offered me $200 to show up and sing with no music!!! i declined politely.

he called me about a week later but i did not answer my phone. also, his mother called around my son's birthday (he turned 14) and i didn't answer. she left a v/m asking me to call her with my mailing address so she could send my son a card.

short history so this will all make sense: from the time we began dating the exabf expected me to lie to his parents and conceal his drinking as he thought they would disown him if they found out the truth. they've already endured hell with him. after dating several months the truth came out to his parents and we had a secret relationship. they promised me they would NEVER reveal to him that i told them anything. things got out of hand so many times that i simply could not handle it without their help. this continued for about a year until christmas 06 when his mother revealed what had been going on to my ex. she knew very well how upset he would be if he ever found out and she broke her word to me. at that point i ended my relationship with his parents.

i know what you're thinking and NO, i will never do this again for anyone. this is all before i became aware......i am ashamed of what i've endured for this man.

i've not dated and i thought i was doing sooooo well despite that i wasn't going to my al anon meetings and not reading these boards as i used to.....life just seemed too busy.....

so i'm proud of how i've not allowed myself to get sucked back into his life. he really hasn't tried very hard though. he can be very persuasive. today i found out that he's got a girlfriend. he's apparently cycling through the ex's. she's a girl who has always been mysterious to me. it seems they dated before and while he was in prison (many DWI's) and she always seemed to pop up via text message, phone call or email while we were dating.

so i find out that they are now an 'item' and it bothers the hell outta me. it laid dormant until this morning when i found out. it shouldn't matter to me at all. i'm not hurt like i thought i would be. it just makes me miss the excitement we had in the beginning.......do you hear these sick thoughts coming out of my head????!!! classic, isn't it? i miss the excitement of the drama. i miss his old apartment, i miss the coffee shop next to his apartment, i miss his cologne, i miss the way he dressed so handsomely, i miss all the good things.

then i force myself to think of the way he did the jekly/hyde thing.....the way he looked so good when we would go out, only to look like a totally different person, with the skin literally hanging off his face he was so intoxicated. i force myself to remember the times he stayed out all night, never to call, only for me to hear from him the next day, lying to me, telling me he slept in a hotel alone the night before. i strain to recall happiness and then i'm okay.

but that lasts just for a while. its as if i have to keep remembering that there was an entire dark side to that relationship that i had with him. there were surely good times, great times but for every one great time there were three terrible, frustrating times when i had to go against everything i believed in to rescue or tolerate him and his abhorrent behaviour. i have to revisit that i compromised my standards so many times and was actually relieved when it ended.

but it bothers me that bothers me, ya know? its like i don't want to admit it bothers me and i secretly wish i would meet someone just like him minus the character defects..........sigh......one day at a time......

i simply have to surrender and want what God wants for me. that makes it all better. thank you for letting me rant.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

nothing wrong with how you are feeling--you loved the man at one point--I guess you always will--but that person is gone now--and the new one has taken his place.You look in their eyes and they are just not there anymore.It is very hard.BUT you will get through it-and eventually find some one new and make new memories--happy ones--and do not be in too much in a rush for that either--you just got on your own take some time to find out who YOU are before letting anyone else into your life,,,,,
Old 04-09-2007, 01:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi appleblaster, Thanks for sharing that.
You have that radar too ?....
I like doing that..."I have a private life" routine from time to time too.

Can't hide nothing from my mom, even if i think she dosn't know...she knows.
It use to make me mad sometimes, when my mom would give my gf all kinds of gifts and stuff for nutt'in.
My mom just like doing that..she's just a giving person.
She trys to stay out of it and can't understand why we get all crazy sometimes.
But no matter what happens between my gf and I. My mom dosn't hate my gf.
Mom will always stand by my side. I'm her son.
She told me i will always be her little boy...in her eyes I'm still her baby.
She treast me like a child every time I visit.....that's way i only visit and don't live there.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IO Storm

appleblaster:

I went through that before.....you made some statements

right off the bat that show you have a good insight as to

what kicked off these emotions.

" became sort of complacent and did the hermit thing for a few weeks".

"just when you think you've kicked your feelings for someone they can sneak up and bite you in the butt."

"She's a girl who has always been mysterious to me. It seems they dated before and while he was in prison (many DWI's) and she always seemed to pop up via text message, phone call or email while we were dating."

"So I find out that they are now an 'item' and it bothers the hell outta me. It laid dormant until this morning when I found out. It shouldn't matter to me at all."

Apple:

The mystery and not knowing of this past relationship that your ex could

or could not have had with this woman while with you started the heart

beating faster. An instantaneous chemical reaction caused by the recall of

those phone calls, text messages, and emails that caused crazy horrible

panicky co dependent feelings just came right up.

Don't mistake the fast beating heart for forgotten love or the thought of

her having him.

You have a right to vent, rant, and rave if you believe you were cheated

on, but do it safely. You can tell us, other friends, journal, a therapist,

support group, whatever you choose.

I am hard headed and controlling, and did it the hard way, and how it

backfired. I asked him, pounded and cried, forced my way back in, and

found she was not the only one. One of many. I got drunk and then went

and did it myself.

It seems your head is on straighter than mine was, thank God.

This particular situation is in black and white. But protect yourself.

No more hibernation. Did that too. Not good for the soul for too long.

Welcome back.

Love,

:

Sherry

Last edited by IO Storm; 04-09-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ICU

It sounds to me you were 'pretty ok' with the split until you found out someone else was in his life. Your human and that's a normal reaction. BTDT myself!

It's ok and normal to long for, or rather 'miss' the good that there once was, provided that we view the 'whole picture' - both the good and the bad. It was a struggle for me to 'not be fooled' by the good memories. Thankfully, my common sense won out!

Keeping the 'whole' picture in perspective is what helps me.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went through a similar thing with an ex and was kicking myself, imagining this "great" new relationship of his, until my shrink asked, "Do you think he's nice and wonderful and giving and has changed into a totally different person because he's with her?"

Er, no. The bottom line is, he's someone else's headache now. In time you'll count yourself lucky.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by appleblaster View Post
while he was in prison (many DWI's)
Just have a question.....how would his parents NOT know he had a drinking problem if he had been in prison for DUI?????
Old 04-09-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nervous_nell View Post
The bottom line is, he's someone else's headache now. In time you'll count yourself lucky.

that's what i keep reminding myself too, knowing my ex is now with the person she cheated on me with. apple, unless your bf begins a recovery program and is able to get at least a year under his belt, these same problems and issues he brought to your table will end up being brought to hers. you will come out on top here, i can promise you that.

would you really go through the drama that you went through with him again?? sometimes i think i would, but then i remember the nights crying myself to sleep, the days where i was sick to my stomach, the times i felt unloved and second place to a can of beer.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
up and out

Good question Harley. They did know. Through his parents I came to find out that he's had addiction/alcohol issues since he was 13! Once he got out of prision he promised his parents he would never touch the stuff again, never drink, etc. This is why they thought he had kicked it. They wanted him to feel there was still hope so they bought him a car, got him an apartment in one of the most expensive places in town, set him up in it, etc. Gave him the prodigal son's welcome......fatted calf and all that jazz.

In return he promised not to drink but was quickly up to his old tricks that landed him in prision in the first place. I was forbidden not to tell them. The secret was too much for me to carry. It was such a relief when it all came out.

They are even better enablers than I am. They however do not see it that way. One of the last things his mother asked me was "do you think there is any amount of money or anything we could get him that would make him stop drinking?" My answer was "you really haven't learned anything, have you?"
Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
up and out

Oh No In This For Me, I would never want to go back to that. As you've all said, whatever problems we had will now be in their relationship. It just really made me miss the beginning. I really want that back. I guess we all would like something so magical and exciting. But I saw it for the codie behaviour it is.....missing the excitement of the drama.

When things between them don't go right, he will contact me. That's how it usually works. He had a girlfriend last year and it just about killed me. He ended up getting her pergnant then abandoning her. Not good. I let him know I did not approve of that behaviour. Actually I feel sorry for the girl (she had an abortion) but it reminds me of the pond life i'm dealing with here.

You all are precious. Thank you for reminding me. This is like one big al anon meeting.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InThisForMe View Post
that's what i keep reminding myself too, knowing my ex is now with the person she cheated on me with. apple, unless your bf begins a recovery program and is able to get at least a year under his belt, these same problems and issues he brought to your table will end up being brought to hers. you will come out on top here, i can promise you that.

would you really go through the drama that you went through with him again?? sometimes i think i would, but then i remember the nights crying myself to sleep, the days where i was sick to my stomach, the times i felt unloved and second place to a can of beer.
Man oh Man can I relate. My ex-abf dumped me and stayed with the person he cheated on me with and then she dumped him when she learned he was still drinking and had lied about it to her. He has gone to treatment (back in July) and I guess is now sober and working a program (I have no clue for sure haven't had contact with him). So, what goes through my mind is that now that he is sober and working a program the man I originally fell in love with will be back and that he will try to win her back and that she will go back with him and thus somehow I loose out on the happy ending.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

mtb - maybe your happy ending isn't supposed to be with him

maybe he will try to get back with her, maybe she won't want him anymore, maybe she's moved onto someone else, maybe she doesn't trust him just like you don't, maybe everything would be perfect for a year or two and then fall apart again. maybe someone better will come along for you... maybe he isn't your happy ever after after all!

sorry for hijacking... just felt the need to respond
Old 04-09-2007, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow..thanks Apple for this timely post. You have described both the behaviours and my sporadic feelings about my exAbf. Abandoning a woman he impregnated...nice. My ex did same thing to his ex...then to me. Nice. Yep, it's rather disgusting that we can miss these prince charmings...or feel jealousy when they become someone else's nightmare. Been there, done that. I was dangerously close to nervous breakdown when I heard rumour my ex shacked up with a stripper after our split. She was smarter than I...she dumped his sorry self in VERY short order. My ex could be charming and wonderful..but basically he is a drunken/addict with all the lovely qualities that go with this affliction. As long as he's drunk and using he will only cause pain for anyone in his path..especially himself.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
up and out

this man was quite a charmer. one look at him and you would have no earthly idea he went to prison for two years. he dresses very nice, smells good, apartment always impeccable, very worldly, intelligent, etc. the man of my dreams.......only a raging alcoholic. but he had me very fooled. i'll bet i was a shining blip on his radar screen.

the first time we broke up (of course you know there are many, many breakups and reunions with the exabf's) one of my friends said his behaviour had narcissistic traits.....so of course being the codie I am, I immersed myself in research on sociopathic types.

what I learned was incredible and also applies to non-narcissistic people. its common sense but when I read it everything came together. it was talked about as "narcissistic supply" but we can also name it "alcoholic supply." Its all about how we supply the alcoholic with what they need....the rescuing, ego massage, nurturing, favors, scapegoat, etc. when they 'exhaust' one supply they move on to another. they choose people who they know are highly capable of meeting their needs. this girl my ex is dating is a fantastic source of supply in the sense that she has durability. he talked about her while we were together like a lowlife. im sure that was part of his game. she'll take much more than I ever will and he cannot cycle through any other ex's b/c they won't have anything to do with him. i sorta feel sorry for her. she reminds me of myself before i became aware. she's in for a looooong haul.

before we stopped talking, his mother said it was his m.o. that right before he is about to get out of trouble, he screws up and gets into worse trouble. his parole is up to end this month. she said they will be on pins and needles. i'm soooooo glad its not me having to deal with this. he's recycling an old 'supply'.

So its not ground-breaking stuff but it keeps me in check. Once again, reminding me that I didn't create it, I cannot control it and I cannot cure it.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

...Its all about how we supply the alcoholic with what they need....the rescuing, ego massage, nurturing, favors, scapegoat, etc. when they 'exhaust' one supply they move on to another. they choose people who they know are highly capable of meeting their needs... i sorta feel sorry for her. she reminds me of myself before i became aware. she's in for a looooong haul.

wow, that was an eye opener. and you're right, she is in for a VERY long haul... things might look all rosy for them for a little while, as it did for all of us, but the truth will come out eventually.

by the way, is there any articles or readings you can direct me to referring to the above? i'd be very interested to learn more.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
up and out

In This, i'm going to PM you some links.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

the first time we broke up (of course you know there are many, many breakups and reunions with the exabf's) one of my friends said his behaviour had narcissistic traits.....so of course being the codie I am, I immersed myself in research on sociopathic types.
Oh geez, I could have written this paragraph. In one of my last conversations with my ex I told him he was either Satan himself or a complete narcissistic sociopath...yep, I had read up all there was on it after our first break up.

And ya, why the hell do they have to smell so nice? Hmmm...he was always immersed in ever so expensive cologne to mask the booze and pot smell I guesss.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

gee I can't keep track of who is cheating on who with whom???
May they both end up in rehab together! You all deserve more---in life than this BS