Recovering alcoholics finding work

Old 04-08-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering alcoholics finding work

I have had limited contact with my exag(and that's the way I want it). The most contact has been since her father has been in the hospital very ill. We were friends before I started dating his daughter. This is my question for recovering alcoholics out there. She is under house arrest but can work if she can find it. She was convicted of 4 dui's and it was well publicized in the local paper. This is a town of about 50,000. She cannot find work. What are other's experience with this. Have you had trouble finding work?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was fired from my last job of 5 years. The one before that, that I had had for 15 years, I quit.

I'm a computer programmer of sorts, and my resume and experience looked good on paper. But, they would always ask why I left my last job. AA tells me to be honest, so I had to say they let me go. Also, my last DUI and Public Intox would show on my background check.

It took 7 months for me to find work.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glassprisoner is right. My son had always managed to talk people into hiring him and to explain away periods of unemployment. Now his alcoholism is so very bad that he was unable to hold down a job at Denny's. You just have to keep looking and something will eventually come up, either because someone really needs an employee, or someone is willing to give a person a chance, or some other reason. The hard part is taking all the rejection.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A lot of it has to do with networking--favors etc...My AS has no job history secondary to his being an alcoholic/substance abuser.Now that he is sober-it is hard--but he has an interview in our state called Mass Rehab that deals with just this sort of thing--people who have not worked in a long time--who have criminal records--they help find you a job or can get you back into school if needed for training for a job. My AS is college educated and is also a RMA--so he needs help--his first appointment is tomorrow--I will write you and let you know what they offer.