Need Advice

Old 04-06-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Need Advice

I need advice. My boss just hired a new guy at my store. Myself and 2 other employees have caught him drinking beer at work. Everyone has complained to the boss and nothing has been done about it. Today he opens a beer right in front of me and I ask him "do you think you should be drinking at work?" He gets in my face and tells me I don't need to worry about what the "badword" he is doing and to mind my own business. At that point I got my stuff and left. Why do I have to leave my job because he has a drinking problem and mood swings. I just need some advice on what I should do...find another job?
Old 04-06-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

what an awful way to work!!!! I know I have worked with others who have had substance abuse problems--unless it affected their work--I was OK--but this gut sounds like a real jerk-just looking for trouble--follow the chain of command--put it in writing to your boss--and if you can have others behind you to back you up....I am afraid to ask what kind of job this is.......
Old 04-06-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

yep I agree, you stay and make sure you get as much support as you can and stand up for yourself.

Kevin
Old 04-06-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi christy, welcome

do you have some kind of description of office policies or a handbook for where you work? often there is zero tolerance for drinking on the job, especially if you're in a situation where there are customers or a specific kind of work that needs to be done that could effect the welfare of others or the production of a certain quality product, if that makes sense. if your boss isn't listening to you, i would talk to HIS boss, maybe even put in an anonymous phone call saying you're concerned about your coworkers behavior and explaining that it makes several of you uncomfortable. if it's anonymous, no one can find out... just a thought.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I work for Sears, but it is a dealer store which means it is person owned, so it is really up to the owner as to what happens and doesn't happen in the store. There are only 6 employees in the store, so it is small. Now that you mentioned it we do still have a district manager and maybe if he got involved then things would be different. I know I shouldn't let this guy get to me and irritate me, but I can't help it...he just does. I'm sure everything will work out for the best...even if I have to find a new job, it just means that was part of my plan in life, but I will still call the district manager and share my feelings and thoughts with him.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't handle a lot of employee law at my office, but I've been one for more than 30 years, and I'm pretty sure this guy is creating a hostile and unsafe work environment which is a violation of federal law. Your boss is laying his own job on the line by not acting on your complaints. The rule used in assessing responsibility is that "management knew, or should have known" a situation existed. You've told him, so management knows. Follow the chain of command for grievances. If this is a job you want to keep, then document, document, document. Dates, times, what happened and who else was present when it happened. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How come I'm that lucky to have to work for an idot like that.
Good lord....damn cell phones with a camera now a day...
I'd ask the idot again just so I have it on record
I pray eveyday the other fool pops a beer in front of me....

I don't think ,I'll have to work for the rest of my days , if I talk to the right
poeple...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I work for Sears, but it is a dealer store which means it is person owned, so it is really up to the owner as to what happens and doesn't happen in the store.
Not true. As suggested put your complaint in writing to your immediate boss, to the owner and to Corporate Sears. The store may be privately owned, but it carries the SEARS name and believe me.......................given provacation Sears can and has and will continue to yank the franchise. What a lousy thing to have customers smell alcohol on this guys breath. Yuk.....talk about lousy Customer Service.

If putting your concerns in writing does not correct the problem, at least you will know that you have stood up for yourself and it may then be time to find a different job.

J M H O

Will keep you in my prayers.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-07-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd go over your bosses head. I would carefully document your complaints and what was done about it. It wouldn't hurt to have soem witnesses who might write a letter to your headquarters. It is unlikely your boss doesn't have a boss.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

This type of a store is a franchise. The "owner" pays Sears for the use of the name, a royality and thus there are covenants built into the agreement to protect the good name of Sears.

Although the owner "owns" the business, Sears owns the name, which is the foundation of the business. Sears has the legal right to yank the franchise and if the Sears name is poorly represented, they will.

Start with documenting the issue, submit it to your boss, and if it is not resolved, keep moving up the chain of command.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, I don't shop at places where the employees smell of alcohol. There are too many people looking for jobs to tolerate that behavior.
We suspected a nurse of drinking as she guarded a water bottle as if their was something other than water in the bottle.
I immediately became suspect when she lost the bottle and nearly went nuts looking for it. She has other behaviors too.
Our shifts run 7-3, 3-11 and 11-7. She can't come in before 11 am and she has to be out by 11pm. She won't stay late ever or come in early ever.
We continue to watch her.
I won't follow her shift. She leaves too much undone and you spend half the shift straightening out what she screwed up.
I'm sure you get paid to do YOUR job. I'm sure you take pride in the work you do. You should. You aren't paid to work with someone drinking at work.
Makes you wonder what the relationship is between your boss and this man.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is exactly my thoughts...does this guy have something on him or what..why wouldn't he just fire him. This guy pours the beer into his coffee mug and then will carry it everywhere with him..even to wait on customers. I am a customer for places also, and if I went somewhere and the sales associate helping me reeked of beer I would turn around and walk out and go somewhere else. I sent an email to the district manager this morning..so did 2other employees, so we will see what happens...until then I refuse to put myself in a situation where I am unhappy and not comfortable in my work environment. I have put a lot of effort into that store for the past year, always done my job beyond expectations, and put in many hours. I think that the owner will realize that he lost a great asset to his company. I still do hope that something is done about this situation...I will keep you informed.