Notices

Need advice "Tough Love"

Old 04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice "Tough Love"

I just learned that my 25 year old daughter has been using meth for 9 months. The last month she has begun to change- secretive, lies a lot,avoids family, hangs out with meth users,the usual behavior. Her husband (Who loves her dearly)has decided to "help"her hit rock bottom- he is canceling her credit cards, and she is living in an RV at a trailer park.In a week or so, she will have no means of support. He wants to force her to reassess her life, get clean,and get a job to support herself.(He has always given her everything she wanted, so she has only worked now and then).He has asked us to help him by not giving her any money to prolong her meth use. We have agreed to do this, but I am wondering what other things we might do to help her. We love her and will always give her emotional support. Right now she refuses to believe she has a problem at all. What can we do to help her realize she has a problem, and help her recover? What are the definite no-no's besides not giving her money and not letting her live with us? I know she is going to beg me tearfully and I want to be ready with an answer. This is tearing my heart out. Advice from former users or families?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am glad you found us!

There is very little you can do to help until your daughter recognizes that she has a problem and begins to seek help for herself. If you like, you might check out the Friends and Families forums on this board where you will find lots of support for yourself.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Buy the book from the incredible author Melody Beattie "Codependent No More", it's amazing!

She lost a son if I recall correctly to the disease.

VERY insightful.

Learn to detach with love!

Stick around, great people here!

Tom
Old 04-05-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ao1979

Hitting bottom?

I read your post. I am a sometimes recovering alcholic with experience in the drug arena. I wanted to let you know cutting her off will only slow her down. If she is an addict she will find a way to fulfill her needs without her husband or her family. Sometimes people go to drastic measures (often dangerous) to get their drug of choice, doing things they never thought they would do. I am not saying you should enable her by giving her money.

I watched a special on HBO the other day titled "Addiction". They have links on their site, hbo.com that you may find useful.

I am not a doctor and not that familiar with meth addiction. There are a lot of resources out there to help people in your position, web sites, hotlines, etc.

I particularly remember from watching the HBO special the other day, one doctor said it was a myth that people had to hit "rock bottom" to seek help.

I also saw something online about a man who chronicaled his meth addiction through video. I don't remember his name, I think he came from MO. Maybe his story would help your daughter.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you and your daughter find the answers you need.

ao