Has anyone heard of Prometa?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone heard of Prometa?

It is a new drug protocol they are using to help people addicted to meth, crack and alcohol. I have read that it had an 80% + success rate. It is a combination of drugs and nutrient that literally reset the brain chemistry back to the way it was before the addict ever used. The testamonials I have read are encouraging.

Just wondered if anyone here has heard of it or known someone who tried it.

Thanks and be Blessed!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i have not but I would love to learn more.

I know many drugs have been used to combat the negative thinking and chemistry issues associated with alcohol, but not as much the other drugs.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

This is what the California Society for Addiction Medicine has to say...

http://www.csam-asam.org/blogs/forum/?p=14

And this is from the Prometa web site:

Safety and Effectiveness
How effective is treatment using PROMETA?
The effectiveness of the PROMETA treatment protocols has not yet been proven. Clinical studies for alcohol and methamphetamine dependence, but not cocaine dependence, are underway.

Therefore, it is up to the PROMETA-treating physician to review the available data on the treatment program and assess whether it is appropriate for any given patient. Hythiam makes no representation about the efficacy of these treatment programs for any given patient.

How safe is treatment using PROMETA?
Treatment using PROMETA has not been assessed in controlled clinical studies. The medications used in PROMETA treatment are prescribed by physicians, and a physician must determine whether the given medications are appropriate for an individual patient considering treatment. Hythiam makes no representation about the safety of these treatment programs.

Are there any clinical studies ongoing using PROMETA?
Currently, several clinical studies are being performed for various aspects of treatment using PROMETA. Two methamphetamine studies are underway – one study sponsored by UCLA, CA and Dr. Walter Ling, the other methamphetamine study with Research Across America and Dr. Harold Urschel, Dallas, TX.

With regards to alcohol dependence, Cedars Sinai, CA is involved in one study; Dr Jeffrey Wilkins will conduct the study. The Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs (CDAP), at the Medical University of South Carolina is also studying PROMETA for alcoholism. Dr. Raymond Anton, MD and his colleagues are responsible for the study.

If my daughter was active, I would consider it. Because when she was using, the damage was happening so fast, I was willing to stop it using ANYTHING.

But it was my very desperation that made me vulnerable. And because of that, I tend to look on these things with a bit of a jaded eye.

I wish you the best... really. (((hugs)))
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I have, I looked into it when I was trying to get off meth.
I wanted to try it but it's pretty expensive. I'm pretty sure
the site is www.prometainfo.com
I was actually just looking at the site last night for someone
else...
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding! I am looking into this treatment for my AH. First though, I am meeting with someone from the hospital so I can fill out paperwork for assistance. There is no way we can afford it, so I pray that if it is meant to be, we will get enough assistance to help. So anyone else who might be considering this, please call the treatment center and see if they offer any assistance.

I come from a pharmaceutical/medical background and from what I've read I am very excited about this. I see that with my AH, no matter how hard he tries to stop, and he does try, that thought is always first and foremost in his head. For a long time I just couldn't comprehend why he just can't stop. I did. I am in recovery too, but not for crack. The more I read and educate myself about crack/meth and what it does to the brain, it is exciting to see a treatment like this, it could be the answers to many prayers.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I see that with my AH, no matter how hard he tries to stop, and he does try, that thought is always first and foremost in his head. ~~~~~

I can relate to that, it's very hard... I tried to stop over a 100 times.... (or something like that
I do hope that Prometa works, it does make sense to me. I stopped years ago, and was on a board and these people came on and asked us if any of us wanted to do a meth study. It was very well done, and professional.
One of the girls on the board ended up doing it, they flew her out there,
did a lot of studies on her, and gave her some new drug they were testing.
I'm not sure if it was Prometa or not, but whatever it was she said helped a lot. She was a 20+ year meth user, and last I heard she was still clean..
I haven't heard of any other studies being done besides Prometa though.
This was a pretty big study being done, two weeks in a hospital, she couldn't leave, tests done on her everyday. But she really enjoyed it..
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hoping that things work out for you, keep you and yours in my prayers.