~This too shall pass~

Old 04-02-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
laurenb

~This too shall pass~

I have been sitting here for the past hour reading through all of these threads and already feel right at home.

I am the wife to a drug addict. My husband started using drugs recreationally about five to six years ago but for the past two has lost all ties with the person I married. We have been married little over two years and have two beautiful, healthy children.

Things really got bad about three months ago. He started lying every chance he could, not coming home from work and showing up at all hours of the morning high as a kite and lost all interest in his job.

I left my husband about two weeks ago and told him that we were through and that I would not raise my children around a man who couldn't take care of himself and much less take care of them. He proceeded to call me that following Saturday and for the first time since all the drug problems started he finally admitted to me that he had a problem and wanted help. I jumped on that offer.

My husband left for treatment last Monday, a week from today. He will be gone anywhere from six to eight weeks. I am so thankful that he finally began the first step towards recovery. I have talk to him a couple of times and he sounds like he is doing very well. I try not to get my hopes up because I know this is just the beginning of a very long road. But when I married this man, I married him through sickness and health and till death do us part.

I look forward to these forums and discussions. Thank you all for your concern.

~This too shall pass~
Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

welcome to sr, don't know if i have met you yet, the addict in my life his my husband. glad you are here. sounds like you have a good plan, and so does it sound with your husband. have you gone to any alanon or naranon meetings yet? they help a lot. i think what you did was a noble thing to do, you are right to think that it's not a situation that you want to raise your children in, glad to hear that you are taking steps to protect yourself in all of this. i pray that your husband embrace recovery and stick to what he is learning.

addiction is a life long think like you said, and so is recovery. it will take a total commitment on both you guys part and i pray that all will work out just fine. i pray that you continue to work on you, prepare yourself for the days ahead. keep the focus on you and the kids and allow your husband to do the same. remember that rehab if very good, but is not a cure all and that relapse is always possible in early recovery. try to keep expectations at a minimal,. i pray that your husband continues to do good and i'm praying for all of you.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
laurenb

Thank you so much for your response teke! Yes I have actually been looking around today trying to find some Alanon meetings in my hometown! At at a time like this I definitely need a place to go where I can discuss issues with people who have the same problems as I do. I know this will be a VERY long and winding road but I will not give up and I am greatful for your comment.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome lauren, you are in the right place.the 1st step is admitting there is a praoblem,i am glad he did that & is in a program.there is nothing u can do for him.his recovery is his, yours is yours.work on yourself & how not to react toward him.learn to take care of you while he is gone.read around & keep coming back.i am glad u found us.prayers for you & him.