Notices

ephedrine addict/newcomer

Old 04-01-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ephedrine addict/newcomer

Hello all,

I checked out this board a few months ago but didn't register until today. It looks like a great place & I've bookmarked it. Just wanted to briefly introduce myself... longtime history of substance abuse dating back to my late teens, drank heavily from age 21 to late 20s, did a lot of other things (pot, Ecstasy, LSD) but pretty much in "moderation," discovered ephedrine in my late 20s and have had problems with it ever since. For the past few years I've used pretty much in a binge fashion, but I know I need to stop completely... I have a great job, a great wife, and many things in my life to be grateful for, but I continue to jeopardize them through my addiction. I've gone to NA before & I've even asked someone to be my sponsor, but I've done little beyond that. This Tuesday I'm seeing an addictions counselor & hope to continue that on a regular basis. Very few people know about my problem, even though the signs/symptoms must cause some to wonder... the nature of my job makes me especially concerned with keeping the problem secret. I've resolved many, many times to "never again" use, and then I have... and I know it's because I haven't really embraced recovery. Joining this board is part of my effort to finally do that.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sam and Welcome,

It sounds like you're ready to make a change and to do whatever you need to do to get better. It takes a lot of work to move forward in recovery but it is so worth it. I resolved countless times to stop drinking and had a very hard time doing it. Don't give up. You can do this!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sam,

Welcome to SR, and welcome to a new way of living. Hope to see more of you around.

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks much. I've started down this road before... just never stayed on it long enough.

Just curious--have any other folks experienced a problem with this drug? I've done some research on the web, partly because there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it in the media, outside of its being used as an ingredient in the making of crystal meth (a drug I took a couple of times in my early 20s and nearly killed myself doing so, I liked it so much). It's so easy to get; a lot of gas stations carry it, and I always cringe whenever I'm trying to stay clean and go inside to pay for the gas I've just bought, because frequently it's displayed in the counter area. When I binge I take 50-60 tablets over about an 18-hour period. (Hmmm... am I an addict? Insert self-mocking emoticon here.)
Old 04-01-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here are a couple of threads from SR that might help you:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ight=ephedrine

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ight=ephedrine
Old 04-01-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Sam and Welcome!

I have no experience with this
Alcohol was my DOC

Blessings to you and your family

Last edited by CarolD; 04-01-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Girl Interupted

Hi Sam,

You will find tons of support here.
Wishing you all the best.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Sam G View Post
Thanks much. I've started down this road before... just never stayed on it long enough.

Just curious--have any other folks experienced a problem with this drug? I've done some research on the web, partly because there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it in the media, outside of its being used as an ingredient in the making of crystal meth (a drug I took a couple of times in my early 20s and nearly killed myself doing so, I liked it so much). It's so easy to get; a lot of gas stations carry it, and I always cringe whenever I'm trying to stay clean and go inside to pay for the gas I've just bought, because frequently it's displayed in the counter area. When I binge I take 50-60 tablets over about an 18-hour period. (Hmmm... am I an addict? Insert self-mocking emoticon here.)

Hi Sam,

Welcome to SR!!

I definately have taken my fair share of ephedra, but I never had a problem with it, just liked it to much. It's never been an issue for me to stop.
I did addicted to crystal meth though. I can see how you could get addicted to ephedra though, it's a stimulant, that's why I liked it. If I ever took 50-60 of those it would give me heart attack, you must have a high tolerance to them, really high...
Anyway, Good for you for wanting to stop. You can do it, I stopped meth as soon as I decided I was done... Just keep focused! ;-)
Old 04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I can relate to your story used any uppers I could buy over the counter when I could not get hold of anything else, did some yucky stuff, boiling down and shooting up cough medicine.

Welcome to SR, this is a great place certainly saved my sanity and helped me save my life.

Keep going back to meetings and just sit and listen for a while.

Kevin