Notices

Will it feel as bad tomorrow?

Old 04-01-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can deal with the compulsion, but will the shaking, the anxiety, the sweaty, clammy, sticky palms and general weakness be even worse tomorrow?

This is my first day of recovery after drinking almost non-stop for the past ten or so years.

I wanted yesterday to be my first day but I only made it until 11 am.

K/R
Trebor
Old 04-01-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Trebor,

Welcome!

The physical problems for the first few days are difficult, but you can get through it. Have you talked to your dr? That is always a good idea when stopping drinking, because it can be dangerous to detox from alcohol.

Take care of yourself, drink lots of liquids and try to rest and you will gradually begin to feel better. There is lots of support here, so stick around.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Trebor,

Welcome to Sober Recovery - yes, I would see a doctor.
Hard to say how long the physical symptoms will last - they are different for everybody.
Keep posting! Lots of unconditional support for you here.

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there Trebor, you can do this. I would take the advise above for sure. We're all here for you, all you have to do is ask.
Can I ask how much you drank? I drank 24 (or so) beers a day.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wothdraw is a b**ch. Probably the single (well, not counting the number of times I did it) most uncomfortable experience I've ever had.

First, see a Doctor.

Second, depending how long and how much you drank. 3-4 days minimum, maybe a week or more. 30-45 days until you feel "normal", and months until everything starts to fix itself.

But the acute symptoms shouldn't last more than a week. Based, on my experience.

Did I mention seeing a Doctor ?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by I_am_tj View Post
Hang in there Trebor, you can do this. I would take the advise above for sure. We're all here for you, all you have to do is ask.
Can I ask how much you drank? I drank 24 (or so) beers a day.
9-12 a day on workdays, 18-24 on weekends. Mornings have been a bear for 2 or 3 years now but only recently (the last 6 months or so) has it lasted all day until i finally get home and have a beer.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

trebor.........welcome to sr.........

everyone here has advised you to see a doctor, and i agree.......not only is it safer, but there are ways to help alleviate some of your symptoms..........and they can help you decide on the best course of treatment for yourself..........it is always better to find all of the help and support you can get right now.......and take care of yourself as if you have the flu.......remember to drink plenty of fluids......eat healthy, if you can......and be gentle with yourself..........once the first withdrawal symptoms recede, you still have the mental side to deal with, so AA or some sort of counselling is a good idea, it's whatever you feel comfortable with, i know people who have greatly benefited from both.......there are also inpatient and outpatient treatment options that your doctor can explain to you.......

thank you for joining us here......each new member is a valuable addition to this board.........sharing your experience and struggles can help the next person have the courage to make the decision to seek help and support also, and decide they need to quit.....

ayla
Old 04-01-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(the last 6 months or so) has it lasted all day until i finally get home and have a beer.
Yeah, sounds like you're dependent. Fun stuff.....NOT!

I forgot to mention AA. Just getting through the wihdraw won't help you quit. I've done it probably a dozen times. I'd go a week or two, pick up, and the whole thing would start over. You need some sort of program.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so far to all.

I actually feel better 50% better at the moment, but it does come and go in waves. Today I shall be alcohol and drug free. I might seek medical help tomorrow but I fear that making it easy will mean (for me) making it often; i.e., no pain, no gain. After my reading here and elsewhere, I suspect it will be a sleepless night.

Today, and maybe for a few more after that, you all are my support group...and did I say Thanks?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Girl Interupted

Wishing you all the best Trebor P.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Heelo Trebor,

Welcome to SR. We are happy to be your support group. Keep posting, we are here for you...
Old 04-01-2007, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Lurker

hey Trebor, trust me it is worth it. Sobriety is a great thing.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Trebor. Welcome. My heart goes out to you. I remember very well feeling the way you are describing. It was the most miserable thing ever but I told myself over and over again that if I could just get through it this time I didn't ever have to do it again if I didn't choose to.

Here are some suggestions in addition to seeing a doctor (I didn't do this and in retrospect I wish I had). Your body needs fluids, it needs rest and it needs sugar. Our bodies process alcohol in the same way we process sugar so by eating some sugar it seems to calm the shakes. I have been told that chocolate ice cream is really good for calming shakes. I can't eat ice cream but I was told that by someone with long term sobriety who used that on newbies detoxing. Something that helped me some is natural honey. A tablespoon of honey or a small bite of chocolate would help.

Tonight and the next several may very well be sleep disturbed (unless you are someone who doesn't typically experience sleep problems). I had heck sleeping but I still do even now. If you can't sleep then just get yourself comfy in a recliner or on the couch with a good book or a good movie and try to just rest your body.

Keep posting on here and know you are not alone. There are plenty of us who have been where you are now and have lived to tell about it. It can be done and the results are sooooo worth it.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 04-01-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Trebor,
Try a big mug of hot chocolate before you go to bed.

I know what you mean about feeling sick the day after, its such a horrible feeling. But it WILL go away, I promise! Keep a positive attitude if you can,
that helps too.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I would say Yes due to your long term use.
I also suggest you see a doctor and be honest.

De toxing from alcohol is a serious medical issue.
The usual time it takes is about 3/4 days.

We also have this link...with our personal experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Be safe and see a doctor
Old 04-01-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and hang in there.

Kevin
Old 04-02-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Trebor, I'm going through the same thing. They tell me it's going to get better, but it doesn't feel like it right now...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, trebor AND yahboogoo. keep busy and keep posting! blessings and encouragement coming your way, k
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Trebor, how are you doing today?? Hope you got some shut-eye last night!!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Trebor, hang in there it is worth it. although I didn't suffer bad withdrawls my first few times at it (and I think that's why I went back because I thought "it's easy enough to quit")..

Anyway, I fell this weekend but I'm starting day one again today. This is only my second "real" time trying to quit so hopefully we can both be on here and give each other support.. I was a 4 yo 8 beer weekdays and WAY to many on weekends.. I'm only 34 but feel my health is deteriorationg so I need to do something..

Good luck..