Notices

I think I need to take a semester off from college...

Old 03-30-2007, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I think I need to take a semester off from college...

I think I need to take some time (like a semester) off from school and then go back in the fall. I am going to request a leave of absence for this semester but it's so late in the semester and I don't know if they will approve it. I hope they do. I really don't even know what to say to them. This is definitely serious enough that it could be considered an emergency leave. Addiction is life or death and right now I just need to focus on getting well.

I have to figure out how to honestly communicate my situation with them... I don't really know what to say or what not to say.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Hope4life View Post
I think I need to take some time (like a semester) off from school and then go back in the fall. I am going to request a leave of absence for this semester but it's so late in the semester and I don't know if they will approve it. I hope they do. I really don't even know what to say to them. This is definitely serious enough that it could be considered an emergency leave. Addiction is life or death and right now I just need to focus on getting well.

I have to figure out how to honestly communicate my situation with them... I don't really know what to say or what not to say.

Hope,

Good idea. I see by your public post that one of your activities if following God. AND, you're reading the bible. If that's the case, you already know what to say. Tell the truth. As you say, addiction is life or death. Try not to let what you think the reactions might be deter you from starting a new life.

Yours in sobriety,
Ed
Old 03-31-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If it weren't for addiction, I'd try and talk you out of it. I took a semster off, 20 years ago......

But yerah, first and foremost, take care of the addiction. Nothing else in life will matter if you don't.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had to take two short-term leave of absences from work in order to focus on recovery. Maybe not the best career move, but as a life decision, it was the best thing I could do.
Listen to God, and listen to your heart. The answers will come.

Rowan
Old 03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope -

Without your sobriety, school will be meaningless.

TinLizzy
Old 03-31-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Tell them it's for personal reasons, they don't need to know the details of your life. Some people are understanding, but others aren't. You don't have to give them a long explanation, just state your needs, what you need, and go from there.

The choice is yours of course, but don't think you have to. It's your choice if you want to tell them or not.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll side with ever sagely Ed. Put your questions and faith to your HP. When dealing with the college powers that be, I'm all for the honest approach.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Since it's so late in the semester, I have to have a really big emergency to get it approved. I don't really want to go into personal details but since it's so late, they will want to have documentation and will be asking many questions. Even though I don't want to tell them my personal stuff, I'm thinking that maybe it's what I should do. I can explain to them exactly how bad the situation really is and that I am going to treatment. Without those details, I don't know if they will be able to see the importance of why I need a semester off.

Everything feels so overwhelming right now. The fear of the unknown makes it all feel dark.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope,

I would hope (pun) they would understand. Most people, when approached this way, are willing to work with you and may even compliment you on trying to solve your problem.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Hope4life View Post
Since it's so late in the semester, I have to have a really big emergency to get it approved. I don't really want to go into personal details but since it's so late, they will want to have documentation and will be asking many questions. Even though I don't want to tell them my personal stuff, I'm thinking that maybe it's what I should do. I can explain to them exactly how bad the situation really is and that I am going to treatment. Without those details, I don't know if they will be able to see the importance of why I need a semester off.

Everything feels so overwhelming right now. The fear of the unknown makes it all feel dark.
Ahhh, that makes sense.... Just tell them you are dealing with an addiction and going into treatment to take care of it, it's probably a lot more common than we realize, they are probably used to it. It will be okay, just take it one step at a time.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I put recovery 1st and try to look after myself while do the next right thing. If you let people know what is going on you may well find the way opens before you.

Kevin
Old 04-05-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I emailed them today explaining the situation. I told them that I would get all the necessary forms turned in as soon as possible.

Please pray that they will be understanding of my situation and allow me the time I need to deal with this situation.

I need to focus on recovery now.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((((Hope))))))

Prayers are being sent!!! Dont fret, your HP will be there and you WILL get through this!!!! Take care of YOU first!!!!!
~HUGS!~
Liss
Old 04-05-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
believer

I wish you a world of strength . I am going through the same thing. I stopped college for a year, 2 years ago. When i came back i was focused as never in the beginning. But after a while i relapsed because i hadn't fixed myself the right way.
So i think it's really important you get yourself together more than anything. So you can do anything in life all the way.

My prayers are with you now