Notices

Strugling

Old 03-30-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Strugling

Well I am on day 4......Its a friday night, I knew it would be the worst time of the week, I didnt realise how much. My kids have been great (they are grown up in thier late teens 20's. They have gone out for the night and taken my cash card and my money. Am I wrong in involving them in this process??? I feel nothing but guilt, I should be a better mother ( I was for 22 years!) Now all I feel is embarresment weakness and shame. I will get over tonight, but what about next week? Does it get easier??? I feel lost, Sx
Old 03-30-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yousound like me last weekend saffron, you can do it no your not a bad mother i'm sure your kids just want you better, and don't worry about next weekend, just tonight.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

you shouldnt feel any of those feelings (guilt,shame) you know why? because you are looking to better yourself. and if that means getting your kids involved thats even better. if there in there late teens 20's you wouldnt be able to hide it from them anyway. it just shows how good you have it because your kids are there for you. i wouldnt feel anything but pure joy tonight if i were you. you are obviously loved very much. hang in there dont think about next week. only worry about today. tomarrow will be better...jason
Old 03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Saffron. Dont get down on yourself. Your making an effort. And a good one by the sounds of it.
I'm sure your kids want nothing more than to help you.
When we feel guilt and shame for asking for help it is normal. But you know what? We cant do it alone. Feeling that way for trying to better yourself is not going to help you at all. You should be proud you are making changes and willing to ask for help. That is the hardest part. I for one am proud of you. Keep it up. You'll do fine.
And dont worry about next week. It will only cloud today. They do say one day at a time for a reason.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Saffron,

Struggling is part of the process in early sobriety and however you can get through it and not drink, you should do it.

Please know that it will get easier.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey saffron, don't lose hope. you are providing a great example to your children with your honesty and effort. i admire you for that. blessings, k
Old 03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks!

Thank you for all your wonderful replies. Sometimes you just feel so alone, but reading your comments has strengthened me. I am silly looking ahead, I should take the advise given here and take one day at a time. My kids are great and love me I know, I just thought I was perfect and now realise I am far from it. Hopefully they will learn from this. Thanks again you are all stars!!Sx
Old 03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lurker

You are doing great!! One sujestion though/ Get out and do something. Do not just sit around, nad think how bad it is. Maybe like me i n about an half hour. go to an AA meeting. That always helps me.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

saffron.......i think it's great you are involving your children..........i know from experience that they really need to feel they are helping you in some way.....and there are not many ways to help an alcoholic stop drinking? you know what i mean? it's something we need to do on our own, for the most part.........so anyway you can get help and support, go for it.....congratulations on making a good decision today........and don't think of next week or even tommorow......you are not drinking today, and that's all you need to handle right now..........just for today....
Old 03-30-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Saffron,

So glad that you are here. This site, and the people who come here, have made an enormous impact on my recovery, especially during those dark times. You sound like a great mom with great kids. Please keep posting and let us know how you're doing - there will always be someone here to talk to. You don't have to do this alone. And way to go on 4 days! It does get better, it just takes time my friend.

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi Saffron, you are doing great! Great plan for now with the

kids, they are old enough to help, it is good for them to know

they are supporting you, and this gives you a way to be

accountable. I think it gets easier, day by day.

Hang in there, hope3
Old 03-30-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I used to dread Fridays in early recover, then I realised that was better than dreading every day in active addiction and now I can take each day as it comes without any dread. It keeps getting better.

Kevin
Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Saffron -

I'm sure that you kids have know what is up for some time. And, I'm sure they will take tremendous pride in you and your recovery. Sounds like you are doing great.

Get out and do something!! (Sober, that is!)

TinLizzy