Notices

Friends and relatives think I haven't got a problem ?

Old 03-29-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friends and relatives think I haven't got a problem ?

Hi,

Do many of you find this is the case. My sister and boyfriend think I am drinking "normally". She only ever has a glass of wine occasionally. I on other hand drink more heavily, say up to about a max of 8 pints. Usually its less than this say 4-6 pints most nights. Often can be even less than that.

I dont know anymore if I have a problem or I am imagining it.

What shall I do? Give up anyway? they think I should carry on. I perfer to carry on as i enjoy it and then i think this is a sign I have a problem. Cant imaging going out with no drinks.

I dont know - I can drive myself mad thinking if i am normal or not...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It doesn't sound like you think you have a problem and need to stop drinking. I think a good way to find out is to stop completely for a set period of time - say three months, and see how it goes. If you're not an alcoholic, you shouldn't have any problem stopping.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Nice to meet you, Amelie. Blessings, K

(Make the decision that is best for YOU.)
Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Why not just quit for a month
and see how you feel?

Normal drinkers don't have a problem doing that.

Take care...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

You only have to ask yourself two questions. This is out of the AA Big Book

"We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer."
However it also goes on to talk about the potential alcoholic also. No one can decide for you. You have to decide if you are alcoholic or not. I hope that you find the answer for yourself. But usually if someone is even questioning the fact than more than likely they already know the answer.

With Love and Respect

Vic

I don't think that normal people really question if they are alkies
Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Most people did not think I had a problem.

Though that was bacause I hid it well. When I got honest, I mean, really honest ... there was a bit of shock and amazment about just how well I hid my problem.

I say pay attention to how you feel. Is it taking over? Is it hurting you? Who has control, you, or the bottle? It doesn't matter what any one else says .... it's all about you.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Amelie. I say if you even have to ask yourself if you have a problem maybe you should look into it.
Do what you feel and think. Not anyone else does.
Only you know whats going on in your mind.
Good luck
Old 03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi,

In the beginning I was able to hide my problem to others. At the end it was obvious to all, that I had a very bad drinking problem. This was due to my behavior...
Old 03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A decision of such magnitude can only be made by you. Tons of people were shocked when I started going to AA..."I didn't know you had a problem!". I remember saying to someone very dear to me when hammered and depressed that I thought I should go to AA. He said...don't worry, I'll tell ya when you have a problem. I was drinking every night of every day..and drinking to black out on weekends. And people didn't think I had a problem??

Incidentally, after I sobered up?? That same person who assured me they would "tell me" when I needed help..told me what a "bad drunk" I was and how great it was that I sobered up.

Please know, that our friends are our friends because they like us..just the. way we are. Some will support growth, some will not.