I Didn't Go

Old 03-28-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FROG....Fully Relying On God

Unhappy I Didn't Go

A friend of mine called me earlier and said that his counselor (he is forced to go to or he will lose his job) called him on his S**t and said that she could tell that he had ben using. She told him she would give him ONE chance to get cleaned up so she could try him on a different drug (he was on Lexapro and she took him off of it) If he didn't she would "fire" him and then of course he would lose his job. She told him to call someone that he trusted and have them go over tonight and help him clean out his house. He called me but I didn't go. I am in recovery myself (that's how we met years ago and became friends, after 5 years he relapsed). I just didn't think it safe for me to go over there (I'm not worried about him) and be around the drugs and quite possibly dealers dropping by. I know I made the right decision to protect myself but I stll just feel kinda bad about not going. I just hate this s**t. I hope that he threw it all away and can get sober again....he's really a cool guy. I said a prayer for him and am trying to let it go now. Oh well, thanks for listening.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Congrats to you! My hat is off to your recovery. You knew the right thing to do and you did it. Your recovery is shining very brightly.

It's hard to say no to a friend or a loved one but you, of all people, know that he has to do some things himself. You sure can't help him when all you are doing is worrying about yourself. You did the right thing for you and for him.

Way to go!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Sometimes we need to make the right choice for us and at times we may feel an emotion about that choice that's not pure pleasure, but in the end the right choice is the right choice.

good for you in knowing the right choice
Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you did a strong and appropriate thing. Your recovery is strong..you know your triggers and knew what to do about it. I know it's difficult to not be there for support, but it is the right thing for both of you. I hope he is ready to make that change. Prayers for you both
Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Good work in taking care of yourself and... I think you did right by him too. He needs to clean his own mess in order to find his way, you also set a fine example of your own recovery!
Way to go for doing the right thing- and any way you look at it, you made the right choice!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good job in knowing your boundaries and limitations. I think its very healthy and appropriate behavior.

When I first started setting and enforcing boundaries, it was very uncomfortable. My family & close "friends" challenged me on everything, and they pushed and pushed and PUSHED if I didnt give in like I did in the past. It took awhile for me to be comfortable with all of it.... but ultimately I knew I had to take care of myself and make choices based on what was good for ME and not necessarily good for someone else.

Your friend's choices and consequences are his to own. I think you did a great job!

~ Cat
Old 03-29-2007, 03:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You did good. Be proud of yourself.

Throwing away the drugs, I've seen my ex-abf do that before, just to go back out and buy more.

Hope this works and that your friend will embrace recovery.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Amen to all that has been said above. What a gift of recovery it is when we learn what we are prepared to deal with and what we are not, when we begin making good choices for us which often mean good choices for them too.

Your light shines brightly and inspires me this morning.

Hugs
Old 03-29-2007, 05:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i think that you did the right thing for you to do for your benefit. i've tried that before, and it just don't always work. i'm recovering too. i'm proud of you, and i'll keep both you guys in my prayers.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FROG....Fully Relying On God

Good morning and thankyou to all of you that responded. I needed some reenforcement about the decision and that it was the right one. Feelings in sobriety (still not used to it yet) can be so difficult sometimes.....not for sissies!
Have a great day everybody.....God bless ya
Old 03-29-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i am proud of you.that is called working your recovery & looking after you.God bless you & all the addicts that fight this demon everyday.i will say a prayer for your friend & you too.