Notices

Another first day

Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another first day

I am new to SR, and am once again starting on day one. Not only is it already driving me completely crazy, but I am also doubting my ability to make it through the evening without a drink. I have ruined so many things due to my drinking. Relationships, self-esteem, happiness. I imagine the sense of freedom that is associated with an alcohol-free life, and I so badly want to be a part of it. Though my personal strength is a large part of why I continue this behavior, the pressure I feel from friends is also extremely influential. Instead of being supportive of my choice to give this habit up, they become angry and judgmental. Hopelessness is already setting in. Anyone have advice?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't listen to your firends, don't listen to the voice in your head telling you it's ok to have "just one". Stay strong, keep posting and reading, go to a meeting and just listen. Come home from that meeting with phone numbers of people who will support your sobriety.

Keep busy. Change your routine -

TinLizzy
Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hopelessness? Nah.

What now seems insurmountable will (hopefully) some day look like a curve in a road towards something so much better. You have already answered your own question about the advice you seek: you want to rid your life of toxic influences, alcohol being one of them. The other toxic influence? Those who cajole you to continue drinking.
There IS a sober, wonderful, intelligent, fun, creative, community out there. You will be amazed at how quickly your own sobriety will gravitate you towards others of like mind, and how quickly you will pull away from the pressure of your so-called friends.

In my little world, my friends want what is best for me. After being drunk for 25 years, it is clear that sobriety is best for me. Anyone who doesn't agree with that is no friend of mine!

Stay the course and continue poking around here. This place is full of love, support, wisdom, experience, and friendship.

Earl
Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Here is my suggestion...find info on the disease of alcoholism.

My favorite resource on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon.

We also have excerpts from "Under"
Please click
1. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Take care...keep posting...ask questions
Old 03-28-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Never hopeless. Always hopeful.
You can make it if you really want it bad enough.
And honestly. If they were your friends for real. They would not judge you.
Maybe you should seperate yourself from them for awhile.
Why would a FRIEND get angry for you wanting to better yourself? Maybe even save your life.

You can do this. Dont listen to anyone with negativity. Its BS.
You know what you want and need.

Do for you!!!

Oh and welcome. There is no judgement here. Only support and understanding.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by renzy45 View Post
I am new to SR, and am once again starting on day one. Not only is it already driving me completely crazy, but I am also doubting my ability to make it through the evening without a drink. I have ruined so many things due to my drinking. Relationships, self-esteem, happiness. I imagine the sense of freedom that is associated with an alcohol-free life, and I so badly want to be a part of it. Though my personal strength is a large part of why I continue this behavior, the pressure I feel from friends is also extremely influential. Instead of being supportive of my choice to give this habit up, they become angry and judgmental. Hopelessness is already setting in. Anyone have advice?

Renzy45,

You are one of the lucky ones who find their way here. Most alcoholics never find the way and end up dead as a result of their drinking. As Uncle Earl so eloquently pointed out, those who would be angry because you are trying to clean up your life are not your friends. Ultimately, their reason for being angry is that if you leave them, they might feel that there's something wrong with themselves. If they are heavy drinkers or alcoholics, they fear that if you get sober, they be less than your are. You know the old saying "MISERY LOVES COMPANY."

Run, don't walk, run as fast as you can away from those who would discourage you. Run your doctor, run to a councellor, run to a clergyman, or run to AA. Whichever way you choose, you will find help, undertanding, a sense of being at home.

Yours in sobriety,
Ed
Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome to sr........find all of the support you can get...........you'll find a lot of support here.......
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If your friend try to pressure you to do something that they know destroys and hurts you, then that isn't really a friend. A true friend would support your goals of sobriety and not try to tempt you back into the devil's grip.

Welcome to SR! We're all here to support you on the journey!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey renzy45,

nice to meet you! your friends might not be bad people but they don't get your new way of thinking, or have issues of their own? you going to aa?

blessings, k