Study: Alcohol, tobacco worse than drugs

Old 03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Study: Alcohol, tobacco worse than drugs

snippet from
http://news.*****.com/s/ap/20070323/...llegal_drugs_1

LONDON - New "landmark" research finds that alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than some illegal drugs like marijuana or Ecstasy and should be classified as such in legal systems, according to a new British study.

In research published Friday in The Lancet magazine, Professor David Nutt of Britain's ******* University and colleagues proposed a new framework for the classification of harmful substances, based on the actual risks posed to society. Their ranking listed alcohol and tobacco among the top 10 most dangerous substances.

Nutt and colleagues used three factors to determine the harm associated with any drug: the physical harm to the user, the drug's potential for addiction, and the impact on society of drug use. The researchers asked two groups of experts — psychiatrists specializing in addiction and legal or police officials with scientific or medical expertise — to assign scores to 20 different drugs, including heroin, cocaine, Ecstasy, amphetamines, and LSD.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would rather be a smoker than an A--no comparison I can see---except we can become addicted to both---but smoking doen't make you abuse your spouse or kids--or mow down someone with your car.....thanks for the site--i will read it and will be looking for where it says smoking is more dangerous than taking Ecstasy...
Old 03-25-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hate to reply to my own post but it dawned on me that for the families and friends of alcoholics, the results of this study are most likely no surprise.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

For addicts, it's no suprise either. Having used alcohol and marijuana for 20 years, it's a no-brainer for me which is more dangerous. Just watching the news every night affirms this as well.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I had enjoyed the book "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. I googled her to see what happened to her and it turns out she died of lung cancer at age 42. Wow - she quit drinking, overcame anorexia, but kept smoking and that's what got her.

I know it sounds preachy cause I hated preaching when I was a smoker, but I feel so good about quitting. I worried far too long about AH's health while neglecting my own. I feel good about my own discipline.

The real world problem with weed and whatever is that it is illegal. There are consequences, like it or not, that go with them. I don't imagine that anyone is going to legalize them anytime soon no matter how rational that might be so that raises the stakes to make them very harmful to a person's life. Sad but true.