Notices

Oh yeah, this is hard

Old 03-23-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, this is hard

Well it's Friday. Every other Friday I do my son's laundry. He is disabled so I go get him and all his stuff and off we go. I've gotten into this habit of just gettin' a little bottle.

I already have the bottle. Bought 2 last time. I've been tryin' to tell myself all day long I don't need a drink to do laundry.

Thing is, I want it. I'm gonna try so hard to be strong. *sighs*
Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are 100% right you do not need a drink to laundry... I had to prove that to myself too.... it true... the laondry will get done and you will be sober... try it....
Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

nyc is right..........and sometimes if you change your routine that can help, too.......maybe do something else and do your laundry tomorrow when you get past these cravings? that always helps me a lot......

btw....welcome to sr....i'm really glad you found this site........it is an amazing place........
Old 03-23-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

we have trained ourself like we train animals if you sit you get a treat if we do laundry yard work etc. we need our treat. I am trying to make new habits it will take a while to condition ourselves for that!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hugs....and I hope you did choose to stay sober.

If not...just begin tomorrow and keep trying.
It will get easier as you progress.

I had to want to be sober
more than I wanted to drink...

Blessings
Old 03-23-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to totally change my routine. I was conditioned that right after work every day I went straight to the liquor store, don't pass go, I did NOTHING else until I had my bottle.

In the beginning I felt panicky and at risk from the time I got off work until the liquor stores closed at 9:00. I spent a lot of time in meetings, in the company of others in recovery or with family who would hold me accountable. It was not easy but it was so worth it! Like Carol, I hope that you don't drink tonight but if not then I hope that you will pick up where you left off and develop an action plan for next time.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Losing my job helped me change my routine. At least I didn't have to worry about stopping at one of several liquor stores on the way home.

But then I got in the habit of waking up and running to the liquor store. Had to break that habit too.

I was like you. Cleaning house, whatever, always required a bottle (or two) to get me fired up.

It was only when I asked for help, and quit trying to do everything myself, I was able to stop.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

body memory.

yeah.

that's what hit me so hard last weekend. (st patty's) those times when your MIND has little to say , but the BODY thinks, 'wooHOO guess what it's time for?'

sometimes, just NOT doing somethng - like laundry -
*pause*

*wait a minute*

says the woman who's forgotten the color of the carpet in the bedroom .... because it's under the ever shifting avalanche-danger size pile of clothes ....

*reconsiders*
ok.
you know what?
nevermind.
That may not be the best advice, come to think of it.

LOL

hang in there!
barb