HBO Addiction, supplementary series

Old 03-23-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HBO Addiction, supplementary series

If someone has already posted about this, my apologies. But I just finished watching the "supplementary series" and found it full of great info. It was geared more toward adolescents, but I know we all struggle with finding treatment help and they gave two good links:
http://www.drugstrategies.com and http://www.samhsa.gov/
One other thing that stood out is that the prognosis for drug addiction is OVER a 50% full recovery rate. I thought that was great news, since I had previously thought it much less.
It ended with the prediction that very soon, medical science will catch up and drug addiction will be a completely treatable illness. (through chronic, still treatable). They said it in better words, but it's wonderful news that I thought I should share with everyone.
Figured we all deserved a little "hope" boost today :-)
Hugs, SM
Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. As a society, we cannot afford not to address it across the board. I work in a hospital and you would not believe the high cost of addiction that we are paying for in terms of uninsured people. People in major traumas can generate $250,000 worth of bills in no time - quickly escalates into the millions. The majority of traumas that I work with are a direct result of someone's altered mental status. Think how many treatments could be paid for? The awareness is heading that direction. I'm grateful that someone at HBO decided to make a statement!

Donna
Old 03-23-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i was scared to even look at this, jumped to conclusions, gotta work on that too. all ways gotta think the worse. that it was about something that would trigger my own addiction, i even try to lean away from movies that show drug use. that tells me how bad i want to stay clean, anyway!!!!! thats good news, now i feel kind of ashame, if it have been you offering a cure for addiction, i would have missed out, huh? sorry
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I didn't see any of that but late last night I watched "junkie" on HBO it was the story of rick kirkham he was a news man he videoed his life from good to bad and back to good his DOC was crack (incase anyone is interested)

was intresting
Old 03-23-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I saw the previews for this show and have seen magazine articles about it.It looks like something I want to watch and would get real life situations and problems out of it. Do we know when it's on? time? and day?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

Originally Posted by txsunflower View Post
Hooray for you Teke for staying on top of it and really thinking about what might trigger you to relapse.

That was another thing that struck me in the book. It said that relapse could be caused by stress, happy events, a song, a neighborhood... Reinforced to me that I have absolutely no control over whether he is going to use or not. But also scared me about what this really means - if he doesn't take time to figure out the triggers it will never work. And I don't think that is an easy task at all.
anything to keep myself from giving myself that opportunity to allow that urge to come in and take over, it could happen to me just as well as any other addict. i think better safe than sorry.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is one on this afternoon, that I haven't seen yet about the underlying causes of addiction. It's on HBO2 at 3:30 ET. Def going to record it.
If you have HBO on demand, you should be able to get all the episodes, whenever you like, unless, like me you have too many cable splitters and the box has a fit when I try to go to anything on demand :-) Ah, just got there...there's at least a dozen episodes on demand, plus conversatons with directors and stuff.
Some of the titles are "cracked not broken", Montana Meth, A mother's desperation, Opiate addiction, Getting an addict into treatment, understanding relapse, to name a few.
I also noticed they are selling the 4 DVD set on hbo.com for $25.
Hope this helps.