Notices

8th day sober....PM naps

Old 03-22-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8th day sober....PM naps

OK, I'm on my 8th day and I'm sleeping very well. I wake up refreshed, but I get incredibly sleepy in the afternoon. Since I quit drinking, I find myself much more relaxed overall, so maybe that has something to do with it. When I was drinking, I couldn't sleep thru the night and I'd be tired from that, but I'd also be much more tense and anxious. I've always had a hard time sleeping and napping, if I had been drinking regularly. I also find myself craving sweets. I think that maybe my blood sugar is going crazy. Should I be on a special diet? Should I get more exercize? Or will this all kinda even out? Thanks.
Irv
Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good to here from you IRV

excercise good... (if you were already doing it... like gypsy said check with the doc)

special diet... Iduno... check this out...

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm
Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

8 days is great Irv... sounds like you're off to a good start . Personally I'd check w/ my doctor about the exercise, blood sugar and diet to be sure.

Having said that, I think craving sweets is pretty normal... and exercise is a good idea for most everyone anyway. But each person is different so.... a check up would be a wise move.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know I should go and get a check up. When I quit last year for 7 weeks, I was just about to go see the doc, then Christmas came around and I slipped BIG TIME. This time, I'm giving AA a try. Hopefully I'll be able to make it thru holidays and such.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Very happy to hear about the 8 days IRV.

Craving sweets is very normal. At one of the meetings I go to they have a hugh jar of all sorts of candy. Ice cream was always my favorite, still is. Keep on doin' what you're doin' and it'll keep on gettin' better.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you got a sponsor yet?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have a sponsor yet, but I hope to get one in the next few days. I've been unable to go to a meeting every night. I've been to 3 so far. I also stop by the meeting place just to visit sometimes. It is a very large group which has 5-6 meetings a day, 7 days a week. There are always people down there even when there is no meeting going on.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello irv, sounds like your doing well, 8 days is some going.The tiredness thing is only natural, your body is healing and as with any illness recouperation means rest so dont fight it but a trip to the docs is a must. Could be that you need a blood sugers test, excessive alcohol consumption can bring on diabetes.

chris
Old 03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took a lot of naps my first three months still get tired... I guess my bodies missing all that sugar energy...
Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Yay...8 days, great job. Mmmmm..sweets, still crave them, alcohol turns into sugar in the blood stream, no alcohol=less sugar=sweets cravings....like everyone said, normal!!! About the sleep, we put our bodies through heck, they need rest to recoup, probably normal as well, however a check up is a great idea when first getting sober!!!

Good luck....SRH
Old 03-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

5 months in, I still take afternoon naps when I can. Usually an hour or less.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

8 months in, i still want daily naps. especially after emotionally draining days or situations in which i used to drink.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Congrats, Irv!

7 months here - and always WAS a 'napper'.

I also energetically advise going to doc - just my own story here -turns out the intensity of some cravings - may have been anemia all along, which only recently ... went acute. Only a blood test can determine that, though.

Cut it a TAD close on that one - but with supplement regimen, am getting better now.

Do the doc thing. Really.