sensetive to the "look/nod"

Old 03-21-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sensetive to the "look/nod"

Have any of you experienced the "How are you doing", "this must be so difficult for you", "How are the kids handling it all" or worse the deep breath, pathetic look, nod and sigh. Like from the Friends episode? What if I turned around and said... "I've never felt better" "No, actually being married to the A$$H@LE was worse and by the way weren't you the one who gossiped and asked what I saw in him?" " The kids are great, never better they are planning a "my dads a alcoholic/he left us party", so sorry you didn't get your invitation".
When it's genuine I appreciate it, when it's phoney it infuriates me. Sometimes I can actually envision choking them.
I had a incident tonight and just curious if I am being to sensetive?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sometimes people just don't know what to say so they use the old standards,,,,,,,and yes it can be annoying,,,you should say really how you are--once you do they won't ask again LOL
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

I would tell them you're feeling much better since you started using a nice young man from the neighborhood for sex.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

THAT IS A GOOD ONE!!! that would shut them up for sure...LOL
I remember at one time in my life I had gained a LOT of weight-I had always been very thin--I returned to a previous job for some extra hours--I was in the elevator when someone had the balls to say''wow you got fat"" to which I replied''yes I just had twins""I was the talk of the place after that-everyone trying to figure it out with all their petty gossip--it was great!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks frizzy and wants out, I actually did LOL. TOO funny.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah - People seem surprised when I say that it feels like I'm on vacation since he went to rehab and it's just me and the kids! Truthfully, the kids hardly notice since he hasn't exactly been "available" the last 6 months or so anyway! Many people have just offered to help - they just don't know what to do.

There's the old advice that when someone asks you a question you don't want to answer just politely ask, "Why do you ask?"

Also, truly, what goes around comes around... they will get theirs, and you don't even have to be responsible for it!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
full of hope

I do think that most people just don't know what to say! Most mean well but then there are those few that you know hope to see you fall flat on your face. Ew, they make me sooo mad! But....deep breath....(I know I've said it before, but...) The people that matter don't mind and the people that mind don't matter!!
I repeat it as often as necessary!

, Cheryl
Old 03-21-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOL - free....I like that party thing.....that was gooooood...

I would have looked that person right in the face and said I'm fine how are you handling your news about your spouse???? Then say "OOOPPPSSS" you didnt hear that from me ok." And let them wonder that for the rest of their day.

Janit
Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you guys have made me smile with this thread! i can now sleep on a happy note