fell into the trap... again

Old 03-21-2007, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fell into the trap... again

guys, i'm really really down tonight. i fell into the trap that my ex was changing... today was her 4th day sober... we were really getting along great the past few days, i thought things were back to normal, i thought things were improving for both of us... then today she's been drinking and i just can't let it go... i just keep saying please, please don't do this... you're better than this... and i get yelled at, screamed at, hung up on, told it would have been better if we had never met, and other things i know the sober girl wouldn't say...

but here i am, sobbing for hours, feeling miserable... knowing all along that i couldn't control what she was doing, knowing that i should have stayed away from her, knowing that this isn't good for me... but, gosh, i see this 23 year old with so much to offer... i see the person who was sober for over a year with me... i see someone who knows that this is not who she wants to be, but she just can't stop...

i'm having such a hard time letting go. i just need good thoughts tonight... i need to know it gets better...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good thoughts going out to you---don't cry there was and is nothing you can do really--one the up side she is young--maybe she will wake up and realize all that she has right in front of her....be strong,,,,and don't cry---
Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's a story I've heard several versions of in my meetings:

A man was taking a walk and came to a fork in the road. He went left and about a half mile in, fell in a huge pothole. The next day, he came to the same fork and thought, well, I'm sure they fixed that huge hole, so to the left he went. Fell in again. So it went for some time, each day him believing that of course they would have fixed that road by now. One day he fell in and broke his leg. The next day, on crutches, he finally chose the fork to the right and got where he was trying to go.

Some old timers will say well, how many times did he fall in and how many times did he jump in? I'd say I jumped in plenty. Then I guess I broke my leg and decided I needed to heal.

I'm sorry you are in such pain InThis, I know how much it can hurt. I promise you it will get better when you start doing the "hard" stuff.

((()))
Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
full of hope

Wow, Denny, again, that was great!

You know, In, I was thinking I wonder what we (me included!) would do if somebody said to help you have to stay away?? Take the other fork in the road??
Old 03-21-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Inthis,
No words of wisdom or advice. Just understaning and love.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dont cry hun....remember the 3 C's......
She will quit when she is ready and not a moment before and our tears dont mean a thing to them most of the time....sad but true.

My XAH told me after 22 years of marriage that he wasnt going to stop for us (me and the kids) or for anybody including the law....he has been drinking daily since he was 17. He is now 46 and in terrible health but yet still has his job...for now anyway.

You cant change her - I know you know this..it hurts alot because we love our addicts but just remember what she is - she is an addict and she is only doing what addicts do.

Hang in there and keep coming here okay.

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Janit
Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there InthisForMe. I'm sorry for your rollercoaster ride with your A. Not fair. Addiction sucks. What a let down. So crazy-making to have the rug pulled out from under you like that. That's what it always felt like for me when my AH would go on a binge. My whole world would get turned upside down. Hang in there...do what YOU need to do to keep YOU healthy and sane.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
full of hope

Originally Posted by Janitw View Post
Dont cry hun....remember the 3 C's......
What are the three C's????
Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks guys... i just needed some support tonight so i didn't lose my mind...

denny i love that story, it's very true to my life right now!

chero - i guess, sad as it is, i'm kind of afraid she'd fall apart more without me in her life anymore... even though it's happening with me in her life anyway so what difference does it make, right?

i just keep thinking that she was sober for over a year when we were together. i never drank, i'm a totally amazing influence on her life (if i do say so myself ) ... and i know she's disappointed in who she's become, i know she's unhappy, but she can't seem to grasp the concept that she could be something more and do more with her life... she's so young!

i'm just afraid staying away from her is going to hurt HER more, even though it hurts me each time she drinks and i'm yelled at... it just makes me so sad to see someone i love completely morph into someone else i can't stand...
Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If I remember correctly it's:

You didn't Cause it
You can't Control it
And you can't Cure it.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
full of hope

In, I can soooo relate. I stay with my AH because I think maybe.....

He did quit once for about a year and a half and then started up again out of no where! Watching him do it kills me and for some reason I get up every day and fall into that pot hole. We just must not be ready yet. I keep hearing about our As having to hit rock bottom...maybe we do to? I don't know!

I'll be praying for you and her and me and him!
Cheryl
Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i keep reminding myself of those 3 C's all the time!

i wish i could just look into a crystal ball and see where my life is going to be in a few years based on the path i'm on now vs one i would be on without her...

i just want the crying and pain to stop - i feel like i don't deserve any of this and i'm the one crying over it all the time! i know you guys have all been here which definitely helps me... i hate feeling so alone and crazy all the time
Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

chero it's so flippin hard isn't it!

i just keep thinking maybe... maybe this is the one time... maybe it'll stick now... maybe she's realized how great she is without the alcohol... maybe she'll start giving herself more credit... maybe she'll see how much more loved she'd be without drinking...

i just don't know how to stop thinking the maybes! even when i'm doing things for ME, i'm still thinking about her, even though i know i'm the last thing on her mind
Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
full of hope

You DON'T deserve it! None of us deserve it!

Hey did you notice your Chinese proverb kinda goes along with the story Denny told???
Old 03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
full of hope

Maybe this will be the time we, the family and friends, hit rock bottom and decide....
We didn't Cause it
We can't Control it
We can't Cure it.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for answering that question from Chero NewEnglandGirl...you are dead on...
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

chero i loved my proverb before when i was trying so hard to let go and change my life for me... i only wish i could follow my own advice!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You will when you are ready to live YOUR life, when you are tired of waiting for someone else to change. I let too much time pass waiting for something to change. I had to make my own changes for my own health and peace. Take care of YOU first!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Reading your post, I can relate so much to what you are going through. It's so hard to watch someone you love seemingly drown themselves. But what I learned from this forum is that you have to seperate their potential from who they really are at this present moment.

Holding someone to what you see as their highest potential when they are falling, when they stumble, when they are sick - it just makes this gulf so huge you don't know what even to feel.

It's ok to remember the good times, but try not to get the past and future mixed up with the present. This is a day at a time sort of thing...I can't tell you it will get better with her, but yourself, I know it will. You're on here and talking, and trying to move forward. I wish you good luck, and I'm sending you some good California vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 03-22-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

ITFM, I'm with aztchr. You will get to a point when you know it's time to live for you, that there's nothing you can do or say, and you must save yourself. It took me 20 years to get to that point. Lots of wasted time, and it's pretty hard to start over after so much of your life has gone by. It's much harder to "let go" of someone you love after 20 years.

Your ex may wake up before you reach that point, or she may not. Dont let that be the ruling factor in your life, you DO deserve better. I wish you peace, and happiness.