Notices

Dentist gives me vicodin

Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dentist gives me vicodin

Well, 9 days clean now but just like us addicts know, somehow someway drugs find us or to be totally honest we find them. I have a toothache and when the dentist today mentioned giving me something for pain, my mind lit up like a christmas tree. no way was igoing to say, "oh dentist, im a crack addict, i cant have narcotics" He only gave me 15 but one is too many. Well now more than ever i need to stay strong! I hate this situation. Oh and what else i hate is that i think my psychiatrist doesnt know what my condition is! she has me on adderall, effexor, depakote, and seroquel! those are for all different conditions like ADHD,depression, and bi-polar. I just feel hopeless. just started the adderrall and feel pretty hyper whe nsupposedly its supposed to calmu down. shes lowering the effexor dose but probably the mix of adderall and effexor hypes me up, i dont know. maybe my pharmicist can advice me if i should get a new psychiatrist. im going to go join a gym today i think after reading a new study that says more brain cells grow from cardiovascular exercise. life is really hard ya know . Hope everyone is feeling peace today.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey joe.......question. I take effexor too. Do you take yours at night or in the morning?

Way to go on 9 days!!!!! Flush the pills down the toilet if you really want to stay clean, and take advil or tylonol, k?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take Ibuprofen.

I have for yrs.

Oh, and yes, you can tell the dentist your situation.

I have.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello And Just Like 1 Day Says You Can Tell Them Your An Addict. I Do. And You Need To Be Careful With Vicodin....
Just My Suggestion. Thanks I Am Kimmie A Greatful Recovering Addict.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Joe,

I agree flush the things down the toliet. I have found that you can define me by If it altures my thinking I am addicted to it. 9 days WOW that is awsome.

Work on today, do not worry about tomorrow.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take the effexor in the morning. if i took it at night, i woulnt be able to sleep. but my problemis i feel bloated EVERYDAY! im not even overweight, its either the effexor or nicotine gum ive been addicted to for yrs. Yea sadly im addicted to nicotine gum and cant get off of it . Im goingto go join this cool gym in pittsburgh thats open 24 yrs a day and u get personal trainers. im going to tell them, look, i want all the focus on my stomach since im in good shape otherwise. i only weight like 180 if that. I wish i could get off this nicotine gum but its like an obsession/compulsion. Welbutrin i loved the few days i took it, less nicotine cravings, felt less bloated but guess what! i broke out in hives and am allergic to it! life is against me i swear but im trying!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cupojoe View Post
Well, 9 days clean now but just like us addicts know, somehow someway drugs find us or to be totally honest we find them. I have a toothache and when the dentist today mentioned giving me something for pain, my mind lit up like a christmas tree. no way was igoing to say, "oh dentist, im a crack addict, i cant have narcotics" He only gave me 15 but one is too many. Well now more than ever i need to stay strong! I hate this situation. .

Hi Joe,

The thought of MISSING teeth was against my very nature, that is sober...However, as soon as I had a tootheache, I would be at my dentsist office, grimacing in pain... At one time, I spent forteen-thousand dollars to SAVE my smile...and yes the narcotics were at my command...So,I did save my smile at a high price...

Joe,

Congrats on your nine days sober. Keep posting here, don't take the pills....
Old 03-21-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi cupojoe!

Take it from me...IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!

I had 17 months clean and after having some "dental work" done, I relapsed. Please take it from someone that has been there, and is still there!

Best of luck to you, my friend!

Alissa
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cupojoe,

Your psychiatrist does sound like she is trying several different things, but the best thing is to talk to her about your concerns. Ask her why she is prescribing each thing and how well do work with each other. Try to be patient and understand that they might take awhile to work, but if you're not satisfied, speak to your dr, and if necessary change drs.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh and what else i hate is that i think my psychiatrist doesnt know what my condition is!
I'm not doctor, and this is NOT medical advice, but I would agree with that statement.

I NEVER told a medical doctor or shrink the truth.

Dr: "Do you drink heavily ?"

Me:"Umm, OH, no, I drink a few beers at night........"

Dr: "Well, you certainly have a lot of anxiety, as well as depression according to this questionaire. Here's a temporary scrip for (some AD). I want you to take a routine blood test".

Me: "OK, thanks". *never to return, MUCH less take a blood test that would show elevated liver enzymes....*