Notices

Where do I start?

Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where do I start?

If I had a quarter for every time in the last 3 years that I said "tomorrow is when I start," I could buy myself something expensive. I used to think I had willpower. I think I'm realizing now that I have a life-long problem with addiction. I used to be addicted to pot, and was about 100 lbs overweight. I gave up pot and over 2 years lost 100 lbs....but in the process took up an addiction to Rum, and cocaine every couple weeks. I tried cutting out the alcohol and felt the need to eat instead. I rationalized it to myself with the understanding that I wasn't drinking, so I deserved it.

Over the last 8 months, I have gotten in this habit: One day, skip dinner because I got drunk. Next day, eat myself sick because I was starved and hungover. Next day, get drunk again. Repeat. Throw a couple all night coke binges in per month.

In the last 3 years, the longest I've gone without getting drunk is 4 days, and that was only once. I've also come to the realization that I can drink almost a 5th in a night.

I'm probably a perfect candidate for a stint in rehab, but that isn't an option for me. I'm a teacher, and actually a pretty good one. Yes, there have been a few days in the last 3 years that I've come into school and put a movie in for all my classes. But for the most part I'm a functional alcoholic. I can do my job well, and I'm in very good-standing. I think if I don't get my situation under control, that is bound to change.

I've realized that it doesn't matter what I tell myself at night, or when I wake up. By 3:30, the plan changes. I know that I'm not under control right now. I have high professional aspirations, and my alcoholism is my biggest hurdle.

I need something and I'm not sure what it is. I know exactly what I'm supposed to do, but I can't control the urge to throw that out the window and drink.

I could use some advice.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi Punkin, I am glad you are here. There is a lot of good support on this board, please read and post often. I am sure that in any situation you face, someone here will have gone through the same thing, and can help you along the way to recovery.

SRH
Old 03-20-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome to SR!

Here is info on the disease of alcoholism

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

That is a starting point I think.

Keep posting... we do understand
Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR punkin!! Posting & reading on this board & AA have kept me sober for 40 days now, and 40 "one day at a time's". The link that Carol gave you is a great read. You learn a lot in that thread.

Glad you found us!!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi punkin. Welcome.

As said above there is endless support here.

Hope to see you alot.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

hi punkin

Originally Posted by punkin_36 View Post

I've realized that it doesn't matter what I tell myself at night, or when I wake up. By 3:30, the plan changes.

I need something and I'm not sure what it is. I know exactly what I'm supposed to do, but I can't control the urge to throw that out the window and drink.

I hear me in those parts of what you wrote. Esp. about "the plan changes". I can get in my car with good intentions and by the time I get almost to the drive thru that caters to my addiction..... I figure what the heck...better get it now or I'll have to trudge back out and get it later. I'm visualizing kicking back with a cold one and relaxing from the stress of the day.

Hope you find what you are looking for or maybe what you need to hear. I found this place yesterday and it makes for good reading (instead of drinking) and there are lots of supportive (understanding) folks too!!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i havent had a drink in three days i was the same way i could do my maintance job which name it i do it i drank everclear thru out the day i work were i live so i was able to drink at well hang in their we can do this no doubt
Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stairmaster

cant drink, and I cant not drink…that’s a dilemma…lack of power…until I recognize this truth about me, there is no need for a higher power…Once I admit this truth…then i become willing to discover this higher power through the remaining eleven steps. And that power will do for me what I can NOT do for myself…and the work goes on, because I will drink again if I stop…powerless over alcohol..... CANT DO IT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go to a meeting. Just go. Dont think about it too much. I went to my first meeting, and it is really good talking about it.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Punkin to SR,

You have come to a great place. Keep posting. We are happy you are here...