Notices

Do you get scared when things start going well?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Do you get scared when things start going well?

I used to. I am very fortunate to have an extensive and quite diversified support group in my life. I would like to share some wisdom that given to me some years ago, by a person who has been sober for more than 40 years.

When things began going well for me, ( I had 3-4 years sober at the time) I mean really well, I got scared. I was so sure that failure was right around the corner. I was just waiting for the other shoe to fall, and take all I had worked so hard to get, away from me. I decided to voice my concerns to my dear friend Mr. Howard, this is what he told me.

He said that when I was out there drinking(using), and I had turned my back on God (I sure did, even tried to blame him!) that God didn't throw away the blessings he had for me. He told me that he had saved them until I came back to him. He told me that God was watching, and waiting for the right time to give me all the wonderful things that I chose to ignore while I was using. He said that God never stopped loving me, that God had never turned his back on me, he was waiting for me to turn to him and to let him help me. He also said that I should just enjoy the gifts and to thank him by continuing to do well.
I can't tell you how good in made me feel, you can bet your sweet patootie I gave him a hug and thanked him. I truly believe, now, that I am doing well, because I am living right...not just sober...but really living RIGHT.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that...especially here, in the newcomers section....so many wonderful things are yours(ours) in sobriety. Please don't leave before the miracle happens...

Cathy (SRH)
Old 03-20-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thanks for that Cathy
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

So that Lear Jet I visualised must be on its way and that ......
Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

oops double post
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am better now, but by no means recovered. I still worry.

That said, I have Faith, and I have Hope. I have Come to Believe. God hasn't let me down (quite the opposite, actually), and I don't expect Him to.