Notices

one year of war, three months of peace.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question one year of war, three months of peace.

have been battling my thoughts on alcohol use for many years. Around a year ago I started to take steps towards quiting for good. Drinking, no drinking. Guilt and rationalization. I was in an abusive and destructive relationship. I recieved a fourth degree D.W.I. I was court ordered to take a "Schedule 25" drug and alcohol assessment. I was truthfull at this interview, and as a result, was reconmended for out patient CD treatment. I have complied with all of my obligations to the court. Finished treatment, I am doing community service for the fines, I even went to the manditory M.A.D.D. seminar.
I have been sober for 3 months now. One of them on my own. It was manditory that I remain so during treatment, or be in violation of mandate. My first question is- why does the government require a person to be cured of a desease before a medication is perscribed?
Next, I am a spiritual and open-minded individual that accepts most things. In a boat on an ocean of external happenings that swirls, swells, and flows beneath me. On this ocean, being in any boyant vessel is preferrable to treading indefinitly. But it seems to me that some of these boats (treatment options) have leaks in the bilge. Logic dictates that I, and I alone am the sole observer. The bottom line is, I am being required to attend A.A. meetings, and getting proof of my attendance. I need intials of the meeting chair, and the name, address, and phone number of my sponser that I have yet to find. I observe a religon of sorts at these meetings. My next question is- Why am I being forced into this? Seperation of church and state? Are my observations skewed?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaligenRoculus View Post
My first question is- why does the government require a person to be cured of a desease before a medication is perscribed?

Hello and welcome,

I am a alcoholic and addicted to mind altering drugs. What I have is a disease that will never be cured. It can be only stopped by not drinking or drugging..

Someone will be along to explain things fully...

I am glad you found us...
Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

why does the government require a person to be cured of a desease before a medication is perscribed?

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Can you explain?

And, as far as the mandatory AA meetings, that's obviously part of the process that you need to go through as part of what the state feels will be helpful to you and to society. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to adopt any religious beliefs you might hear at an AA meeting.

I hope you take a look around our forums and you'll find lots of information and inspiration.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi, I believe you are required to go to A.A. as a continued recovery

support because it has been proven that long term sobriety is achieved at a higher percentage with a 12 step program and A.A. is the most popular and adapted program....

The NIAAA has statistics that 73% of alkys stay soboer after initial detox with a 12 step program in place VS 44 % without...

Maybe thats why the state adapted that as the process.

Best wishes, hope3
Old 03-20-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think your observations are skewed. Simply put, they just don't know what to do with us. At least drunks are offered treatment as opposed to drug addicts who are almost automatically incarcerated.

North American laws, particularly the laughable American "war on drugs," are an anachronism. It might be in everyone's best interest if drug and alcohol legislation were formulated by recovered and recovering addicts and professionals in the field. I have a DUI and it never stopped me from reoffending. And I doubt that a signature from a sponsor will sufficiently motivate you or anyone else into long-term recovery.

It's a tough nut, how to deal with us, and I only know what DOESN'T work, rather than what DOES work.

Earl
Old 03-20-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are my observations skewed?
I dunno about you, but when I was strill drinking (or even 90 days into sobriety) what I saw and what reality was were two different things. My perception was distorted, to say the least.

why does the government require a person to be cured of a desease before a medication is perscribed?
Why does it matter to you ? If that's what the Goveenment says, that's the way it is.

Anyway, this disease is incurable. It can go into remission, but it never goes away.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no info on MN laws
so can't help you there.

I guess you either do as ordered
or you go to jail?

So if that is the case...I suggest
conforming to the law is your choice.

It would not be an issue had you not
driven drunk...floiting the law dangerously.

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cunning. baffling. powerful.

Why am I being forced into this? Seperation of church and state? Are my observations skewed?
I don't know about skewed, but maybe a little misinformed. But not in any way that most of the country isn't so I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

There is a common misconception that "separation of church and state" means "no religion involved in government". But, if you read the law in its entirety - it is actually a clause preventing the U.S. Government from adopting a "State Religion" for the country. (For instance declaring the U.S. as a Protestant Christian or Roman Catholic Nation.) It has nothing to do with preventing religious concepts or practices communing with government activities because quite often, they do. (Think of how many of the 10 commandments are felonies...)

In any case going to AA meetings, which are private, secular, and non-goverment funded, even if mandated by the court system, would hardly stand in violation even if there was such a law preventing the comingling of religious and secular ideas in the laws of this country. AA isn't a religion. (Though I admit sometimes people make it sound like one - but that's people, not AA itself.)

I can't help you with the way you feel about the process, but I think I can relate to how you feel because I'm a questioner too. I like to know how things work and why I'm doing them - even if it doesn't change anything - I still like to know. So keep asking questions and don't worry about being skewed because it's all good.

Good luck with your recovery program in whatever form it takes!
-e
Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

aa adamantly states that it is not a religion. there is a "spirituality" aspect, but it is primarily an admission that there is something greater than you--whether it be a great spirit, collective wisdom, the light within, God, Buddha, a tree, the ghost of your mother, or even just the program itself. you find the "spirituality" in whatever works for you, but it's got to be something outside the self you are familiar with.

in the example you gave, try looking at the ocean, not the boat.

as i see it so far, what makes aa work as a program are 1) accountability to others (not unlike joining weight watchers, or committing to a class) and 2) discipline (following the written instructions, going to meetings, getting a sponsor, helping others, and--most importantly--being willing to change as a person, your mindset, your habits, your life. just being willing to be willing. being open to being open.

best of luck on your journey.

Last edited by scootinbabe; 03-22-2007 at 06:43 PM.