OT trying to cook again :(

Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT trying to cook again :(

I need help right now once again I am attempting to cook I know I dont know why! I am cooking cornish hens. What temp do I cook them on and for how long? Can I stuff them? If so when? I know I know this shouldnt be this hard. But an oven is a foriegn object to me. Oh and do you bast them? Cover them? OH BOY better get the pizza and wing coupons out lol.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

THANKS I knew you would come through and the gravy turned out good last time too! Not any lumps! Yes they are thawed and I will put an onion inside them good idea. I put water in the bottom of the pan too. I tend to burn EVERYTHING so I thought it would help not to burn them. I do have a thermometer too! Sounding good off to a good start here. I will keep you posted: As the kitchen turns!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

When cooking birds, I cover then with aluminum foil and then remove the foil for the last hour of cooking so the skin browns up nice.
Little birds like game hens may do well with no foil.

A general rule for cooking... 350-375. 20 minutes per pound. You may have 3-4 pounds with two? So about an hour, hour 20 minutes.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well As the kitchen turns continues. Did u guys forget to tell me something? HMMM think long and hard or was this a joke? Is there something inside the hens that need to be removed? I just checked the oven and I was like HMM what is this HUGE bubble from on both chickens seems they have a bag inside them that probably should have been removed. Is there anything else I should know?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SOme restaurants ahve take out cornish hens!!!!

Sorry, that is a meal I wouldnt try, too freightened and mine would be over cooked Im sure.

Im making deep fried whiting and shrimp and broccoli and cheese-much simpler and worst scenario I burn my hand. Instead Ill whine to my husband that Im scared if burning my hand on the greese and he'll fix it.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well any more surprises and it will be takeout AGAIN! Hey you cant say I dont try lol. I am cooking them in meatloaf pans cause I dont even have a baking pan! Oh yes I even keep the take out menus on the oven with a magnent well I didnt put them there fiance did. I still cant take a hint!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I give you credit for trying.
I still say go for a crockpot you almost cant lose
Old 03-19-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

I just made myself some "goulash" it's soooo easy and sooo yummy.... basically it is just hamburger and ya throw in whatever is left over in your fridge... like onion, carrots, peas, garlic,tomato, tomato sauce, and you go from there.... it's an old hungarian recipe... you really can't go wrong.. I usually put it over macoroni or perogies... and now whatever I have left over I freeze.. it's hard cooking for one, but gotta eat, gotta stay strong!!

Cook on!!!

Liz
Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey KJ,

Do yourself a favor and get on one of the used book sites like abebooks dot com, and buy "How To Cook Everything" by Mark Bittner. I think I got mine for five bucks, and now I can make the best stuff, and every single recipe turns out awesomely. Makes it seem like I can really cook!!!

Good luck,
GL
Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

Sorry best;
She'll have burnt birds if she cooks cornish hens THAT long!
It's pounds per bird -- not for both birds!

The bags inside the birds are the gizzards and the livers and neck! Yes, they should have been removed. I boil them and use the water for the gravy; and the gizzards and livers get shopped small to put in the gravy.

So, in the future, did you want broccoli, mushroom, rice, couscous stuffed hens???
See here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...sh+hens+recipe
All types of recipes. Google does a great job for recipies. I love to cook, and when I need something, I google it. Epicurious.com is one of my favorites! Last recipe I got online was collard greens with ham hocks for our school dinner. Not bad for this Irish/German/Jew!

I hope it came out nice for you.

Shalom!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

kj, glad you can't see me smiling right now. You should peak at Rachel Ray 30 minuet meals on the food network. You can see everything she does. It's fail safe. Probably kj safe too. You can go to food network . com too & look under 30 minuet meals & print out recipes.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well dinner was a hit NO pizza here tonight nope we had cornish hens with cajun seasoning and no bags on the inside Stove top and microwaved corn. I out did myself. Well they was my cooking for the year!.. I get cook books every year for x-mas lol. I have one that no recipe calls for over 4 items and I never looked at the others. I think my family is trying to tell me something!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

P.S. It didnt take long for fiance to figure out where my cooking skills came from! We went to my moms for dinner and she was trying to make gravy in a crockpot. Well I guess it never comes to a boil so that answered all his questions as we sat there at ate water and turkey sandwiches!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea,, fancy fancy. I'm glad it turned out great. It's fun to cook isn't it?