Notices

taking a step

Old 03-18-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

taking a step

today is my day 1 and i feel awful. i drank a fifth of rum a day for the past 5 days. i can go a few days or weeks without drinking but the time between binges has gotten smaller and smaller. i know i can never live a life with controlled drinking and the only way for me to find success is to quit completely.i have had problems in the past and found excuses for all of them never quite admitting that alcohol was at the root. i have a good wife and family and cant even fathom the thought of my kids not having their dad around. i only hope my body isnt too severely damaged.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi coopsdad and welcome to SR. There is alot of great information here and more support than you can imagine. Have a look around, read and post some more.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Seeking medical attention might be a very wise move. Alcohol detox is a dangerous thing to go through alone, and if you're with your wife and children, it can be a terrible ordeal for them to go through with you.

In your phone book or easily accessible here online, you'll find the hotline # for Alcoholics Anonymous. The folks there have been where you are and have found another way. There's no committment. If you don't like it, no one will hound you to stay. It's free, it's not a religion (though it is spiritual), and the program has helped me, personally, to change those things that drove me to the bottle (and the drug) over and over, regardless of how strong a resolve I thought I had.

I'll say a prayer for you, coopsdad. It's rough, but when compared with the benefits and blessings of sobriety, it's well worth it.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-18-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

its been about 14 hours since i took my last drink. i feel dehydrated, weak, and have some anxiety. but i seem to be doing ok. it was hard to be able to admit to myself that i have a serious problem with alcohol and remain in denial, but after coming to grips with my wife and mostly myself feels good. i hope to be starting a lifelong journey of sobriety.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiya coops dad!!
Welcome to SR. Have you talked to your doctor?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Coops ! Welcome, and Kudos for trying to stop.

After de-tox and withdraw, you MUST have a plan to stay sober. I can't count how many times I de-toxed, either at home or in a facility (well, twice in a facility).

In every single instance, I drank again after a while. The longest I could go on my own was 6 weeks.

It was only after I walked into the rooms of AA that I was able to stay sober. Today is day 145 for me. I've never been happier.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WTG on 145 days GP!!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello coops dad & welcome,
Take the advice of seeing a doc, just to get some peace of mind for yourself.
coops by being able to admit that you have a problem with alcohol will take you a long way on the recovery road. The next thing is to just not drink, not easy but do able, just convince yourself that no matter what you feel like your not going to drink for today. Or if today seems like to much of a tall order then just dont drink for an hour or 15 mins or for what ever time you can handle. After a while the minutes will turn to hours and the hours to days
and the days to weeks and your life will then become more manageable and free from the torment of alcohol.
Keep reading and posting as you go coops you now have many friends here on SR that have been exactly where you are now. What ever you feel we've felt it and what ever you do we've probably done that as well.
You should also think about getting on a programe of recovery soon to.

Welcome to your new family coops.

chris
Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Coopsdad,

I'm glad you're posting because you'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i am so grateful to have found this site. i cant thank any of you enough. this is literally a fight for my life that i am determined to win. i will keep you all posted on my progress.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 2

well its day 2 now. i feel pretty positive about this. i am anxious, didnt sleep alot, and my left foot still feels like it has pins and needles in it. but i feel better than i did yesterday. i definitely dont ever want to go back to that hole i felt i was in. i love my wife and children so much and feel awful for the pain and damage i have caused while binging.i think my children are the reason why my resolve to break this cycle is so strong. until i found this site yesterday i had never spoken to anyone about my problem other than my wife. it felt good to get things off my chest. thanks for listening.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

coops, happy your here...

coops
i only hope my body isnt too severely damaged.
its amazing how body can heal... its the mind that needs the real healing... go for it coops... you can do it...

good wishes coops

xxoo, rz
Old 03-19-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face

Originally Posted by coopsdad View Post
well its day 2 now. i feel pretty positive about this. i am anxious, didnt sleep alot, and my left foot still feels like it has pins and needles in it. but i feel better than i did yesterday. i definitely dont ever want to go back to that hole i felt i was in. i love my wife and children so much and feel awful for the pain and damage i have caused while binging.i think my children are the reason why my resolve to break this cycle is so strong. until i found this site yesterday i had never spoken to anyone about my problem other than my wife. it felt good to get things off my chest. thanks for listening.
Hi coopsdad, I seen your post and it reminded me so much of my 2nd day sober that I went back to copy and post it here for you.

I posted this Nov. 30th 2006, I am around 110 days sober and I want you to know that you can do it and I'm glad you found this site, it has been a life line for me, best wishes to you coopsdad, hope3

2nd day of my new life!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, this is my first post and second day on my road to a alcohol free life. I am an alcoholic, there I've said it out loud for the second time in my life. I'm here because I choose to live and discontinue killing myself and the love of my partner. My partner of 17 years has been patient through my denial years, 4 to be exact, but day by day I feel the hurt I am causing her and myself. This is the first time I have seeked any kind of help. After finding your site and surfing around I felt comfortable enough to take it to this step, because I don't think I can do it on my own. I am a 47 year old woman and enjoy a lot of things that alcohol gets in the way of like hiking and backpacking. These things have slid to the back burner because alcohol has slid to the front. I think people would call me a functioning alcoholic (not a very good one) because I don't miss work over olcohol, at least physically. I'm there in body, but i'm sure you all know a clear mind does not accompany the body when you are drinking 1 and 1/2 or more liters of wine 4 days out of the week. Because I drink behind my partners back on nights I go to college at least my weekends are sober, so really my best day of the week is Monday. Well I can write alot more, but for now I would just like to say I commit to a sober life, one day at a time and any incouragement you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you hope3

Wow, I can't believe that was me coopsdad, you can do it, hope3
Old 03-20-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hope3

Good morning coopsdad, I'm off to work, but I

just wanted to congratulate you on day three.

For me it's when I started feeling stronger physically and

that craving for a drink came back strong, if it does for you,

just scream back at it, no, no, no I'm not going to have a drink.

As each day goes by, it became alittle easier every day.

Your friend in recovery, hope3
Old 03-20-2007, 03:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome you can do it and we are here with help and support.
Keep on posting.

indigo
Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

day 3 is here and i feel real good. i slept pretty well last night. i dont have any cravings yet. i am starting to feel like a normal person. my attitude is good and my spirits are high. thanks everyone for the continued support.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

wtg! i know its not easy but soon you will be feeling like a new man. im happy for you...jason and good job
Old 03-20-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thumbs up

coopsdad congrats on your day 3!
i just got here yesterday--this is a great place esp for support.
i too worry about what drinking has done to my body (i work in the medical field) so i can sympathize with you on that.
i wish you strength today
Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi coopsdad . Glad to read you're feeling well. Keep posting.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Right there with you, Coopsdad. Beautiful kids here too, and about the same number of days. Good work!