Hbo Addiction

Old 03-15-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Hbo Addiction

he show is in several parts and really good--it's on HBO--but if you have ON DEMAND you can watch the whole thing now/anytime---also you can go to hbo.com and streamline it on your computer for free/download---excellent shows--anyone watching???
Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

me, me , me...

i'm watching -andi notice they keep moving it forward - once it ends on hbo -they move it to hbo 2 - and then hbo-sig - i'm watching it for the 2nd time...

i'm hoping to try and understand this thing called addiction - we should talk about it after every episode ? maybe...????

love,
s
Old 03-15-2007, 11:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hmblBEE

Bravo to HBO for their campaign to promote awareness of the devistation of addiction!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I watched last night. I'm not clear when the next episode comes on regular HBO.

I was/am burned up about the insurance part of it. I am also upset about the social stigma attached to addiction. I think this could be why so many addicts/alcoholics don't want to be "outed."
Old 03-16-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been fighting tooth and nail to get my AH husband admitted to detox/residential treatment for the past few days. We have no insurance. Any facility that accepts patients w/o insurance offers a limited number of beds to those patients. I am on waiting lists in every city in FL and have even headed into AL and LA. Nothing. Nothing. He was hospitalized on Wednesday night with a BAC of .387. An addiction counselor came to visit him and put him on her waiting list. What do you think he did that very same afternoon he was discharged? And all morning and afternoon today? I realize you can't expect something for nothing, but this is crazy. We had to borrow almost $10,000 for his last residential treatment - He was released a week ago today and relapsed within 24 hours of discharge. We didn't have the money to continue treatment. $10,000 = 10 days. When we did have insurance, that included 30 days of CD inpatient treatment per calander year, we could not get authroization for the treatment. He was hospitalized 2x in the same month with crazy high BACs, the Medical Director of the hospital wrote a letter to the HMO requesting authorization for treatment deeming it medically necessary. We got an MD to write a letter! Response from HMO: DENIED. Go to AA they said. Seriously. He was/is drinking vodka from sun up till sun down. I asked them if our benefits covered a liver transplant.

The portion of that documentary about insurance and the parents/loved ones holding pictures of their family members who were denied treatment and ultimately died from their addiction...I was crying, screaming and swearing all at the same time. 43% of patients willing to seek treatment for their addiction are denied access to treatment because they don't have insurance or can't afford their co-pay! Sad. Sad. Sad.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whatabout, your previous insurance is actually better than what we have now (and we've got Blue Cross). They pay for 15 days inpatient ($1,100 copay) only once in their lifetime. And I don't think anyone's benefits cover transplants. I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that your name will not even go on the list unless you first pass the financial check. We are not allowed to sell our organs -- we donate them. Then the hospital turns around and "sells" them.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

so it is good this is on HBO so people can see the insurance side of treatment which is a huge huge problem...
As far as talking about each episode-not sure it would work as different areas of the country are getting different scedules it sounds like.Here I have ALL the episodes avail 24/7--there are like 13--I am on number 4---Very Very good show---
Old 03-17-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

dang! I dont get HBO. is this something we can see somewhere else?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes, Missy. Check out the site for HBO and you'll see all the options

Take care.