what happens at outpatient hospitals?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what happens at outpatient hospitals?

We have a local outpatient thing for alcoholics and I have not been there yet but I am wondering what happens there. Does anyone know?
There is a calendar of therapy sessions I think they are 4 or 5 evenings a week. None of them are good times for my husband to attend. He works late at least 3 days a week. So does that mean he cannot go to this place? That's what the paperwork makes it look like.
And will be be able to stop drinking (12 beers a day) with just talk therapy? Or does he need to be admitted for a time?
When a person gets the shakes, the DT's, how long do they last?
Sorry some of you might think I'm an idiot but I've never done this before. These are honest questions.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

My boyfriend is attending a daily outpatient rehab at the moment, and it seems to be working for him. He's currently sober. He spends a good part of the day there, 5 days a week. He attends daily AA meetings and meets daily with an addiction counselor, a psychologist, and a psychiatrist. He gets biweekly blood and urine tests to check for relapses.

The key to whether any program (inpatient or outpatient) works is the willingness on the part of the alcoholic to work the recovery program. If your husband plans to attend because he's been forced to attend, then more often that not, the program will not work for him.

If however, he's looking into a rehab program because HE wants help, then he could very well become a success story. He holds the key to his sobriety, not you.

Does that help?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, and yes, it does help....now, if he wants to go....it will be a challenge with his work schedule. Their meetings are too early for him to get there after work!! It does sound similar though - they said he'd be paired with a therapist or psychiatrist as well as having to go to AA meetings and the evening therapy sessions and urinalysis.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

When my boyfriend first sought help for his drinking, he went to daily AA meetings instead of rehab. He was able to find a group that held meetings every two hours from morning to very late at night. He attended daily meetings after work. And as long as he attended the daily meetings he was able to stay sober. That might be a good starting place for your hubby. Mind if I call you Grammie? That's what my daughter calls my mom.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Those are all questions the head of the program can answer for you--my AS did the best in a 6 week outpatient program---but he did have to go inpatient to detox first---best of luck to you...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The rules for my boyfriends outpatient therapy was at first 4 nights a week for 4 hours a night. He was tested at least 2 or 3 times out of those nights. That program was very strict and with those type of rules it weeded out those that were not serious about getting sober. They would not even accept him if he could not attend all 4 nights. After some time it was then 3 nights a week then 2 then 1. I think the entire program was 12-14 weeks long. They also wanted him to attend AA meetings on the days he was not going to out patient.
The shakes and dt's are different for everyone and some do not go through that.
And please don't feel like an idiot, you must have a ton of questions just like we all did when we first came here.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AH particiapted in an outpatient program and that was actually the first extended period of sobriety he had in over 3 years. He was attending 5 days per week for 3 hours per day + AA meetings. It lasted for just about 3 months before he relapsed. His committment to the program and his sobriety waivered, he started to put his spin on his therapy, and there you go...
Old 03-16-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My suggestion would be have HIM call in and ask about the hours etc.
In my opinion it is always best for the patient to ask the questions.

Perhaps they would answer questions about detox also.
Detox for a long time heavy drinker might be dangerous.

If their people are like most of us, they will be happy to help.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you haven't checked it out yet, there is a sticky over in the Alcoholism thread about Quitting, what to expect. That would provide you with a lot of information and experiences on withdrawals, symptoms etc. As for the outpatient program, have him call and find out. If he can't work this one into his schedule is there something else he can work around? If not, would he be willing to do AA meetings? I was told that I needed to put as much effort into getting and staying sober as I did into drinking. I took that to heart. Plus, he needs to do his own legwork. You doing it for him is not the same, in my opinion. He will make it a priority if he truly wants it. Just my opinion, hope I don't offend you with it.

Meanwhile, welcome to SR. Please read and share and let us get to know you. Have you considered Al-Anon for your own support system and coping?

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 03-16-2007, 09:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Stairmaster

Try in-patient treatment. Check your state laws about mandated detox and in patient regardless of what the insurance company says. Managed care wants to treat with as little as possible. You need to push for it. Is he going to meetings? Sponsor? Steps?