Notices

Chinese herbal medicine question

Old 03-15-2007, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chinese herbal medicine question

Hi, I have an issue with alcohol and I don't have the willpower to stop. Is there any information on Chinese herbal medicine that can help with the urges I can't resist? I've always had some faith in these types of practices.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If withdraw is an issue, a Dr. may prescribe valium or some other benzo to lessen the symptoms.

OTC sleeping medication might be helpful when you get to the insomnia part.

That said, a far as I know, there is nothing available via prescription or otherwise that will cure alcoholism. There is nothing you can ingest or take to stop you from taking that first drink.

I found sobriety through AA.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ya, I'm not going to go to AA. But I had read of some herbal items such as plum extract and such that can help you balance yourself and your energies that can make resisting the bottle easier.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good luck with that...i'd be interested to hear if that worked.

i also found sobriety through AA. or, am finding sobriety. 19 days so far.

i remember when i first came on this board, i didn't like all the people popping up in my thread talking about AA after i had said i didn't really want to do the whole "god-thing". so i won't go on and on about it. hope you find something that works for you.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found sobriety thru AA.

I had to have an open mind.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

spaz, how old are you?

it could be possible that you are not an alcoholic, just a "problem drinker". i have heard of some people who found relief through some of the secular programs that do not include god in their programs. i tried one of those, sort of. it gave me lots of good insight on my behaviour but didn't keep me sober. not even for one day, lol.

look at your first post....that right there could even be considered taking the first of the 12 steps...you said you "don't have the willpower to stop" and something about "urges you can't resist". that sort of sounds like admitting that you are powerless over your alcohol problem, to me.

i am so new to the program i know i shouldn't be trying too hard to help anyone else yet. i have so far to go myself. but i can tell you it's working for me.

you asked in my thread how meetings can help. it's not just the meetings. it's working the steps. the meetings allow you to hear the experiences of other people just like you, which helps you see things in yourself that you might not want to or be able to see right now.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
kNOw God...kNOw Hope

Before I got to AA there were many times when I didn't want to take that first drink but I couldn't stop myself. Once I made it through the doors I learned that the only thing that would keep me sober was going to meetings, asking for help, and humbling myself before a Higher Power, asking him to remove the obssesion. The is no power on this earth that will keep you sober. Sometimes the only this I can do is sit there said ask my Higher Power for help. I also found sobriety through AA. You'd be surprised how many people thought that this just wouldn't work for them, but it does work. HM is right; meetings help, the steps help, taking to other alcoholics on a daily basis helps. This program works if you work it (I know...cliche).
Old 03-15-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi spazhairlip.

You can try google... Chinese Herbal Therapy or Chinese Herbal Medicine if you don't get any info here. I've read that kudzu helps with cravings though I haven't ever tried it.

I saw a book on Amazon that might be helpful. I was thinking of ordering it myself.

Alcohol Abuse Revolution: Complementary and Alternative Herbal Remedies from Around the World to Reduce Alcohol Craving and Consumption and Prevent Alcoholism (Paperback)
Old 03-15-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I've never heard of any herbal remedy that will help with stopping drinking. As others have said, your dr might prescribe something for you if he thinks it would help.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey....just wanted to say i hope you are doing ok.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
I found sobriety thru AA.

I had to have an open mind.

Some posts are just Magic

Kevin