Just a question

Old 03-12-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

Just a question

I feel silly asking this but... Has anyone experienced their hair thinning because of so much stress in your life? For me my ABF by far has brought more stress to my life than ever and recently I've noticed some hair loss not much but it is growing back and the texture is changing. I read that stress can cause that. Just want to know if there are any others or if I'm alone in this one!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know about thinning but I know extreme stress can make your hair grey. I know I have a lot more grey hair from my daughter's addiction. I know that stress can wreak havoc with hormones. Women lose hair after pregnancy because of hormones being out of whack. Marle
Old 03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have the same problem. My hair has gotten very thin since being in a relationship with an ABF. I slowed down on getting it chemically treated, to give it a break and I got alot cut off to revitalize it some. Thank God it is growing back in, but it is not as full as it use to be. Alot of stress!!
Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, both thinning and having clumps of it falling out! There is a stress related condition that has a name...

I googled it and didn't find the right name, but I did find this:

Hair loss caused by severe emotional stress

Some people experience Telogen Effluvium or sudden diffuse hair loss after a traumatic event such as the death of a family member or someone close, an accident, abuse or any other severely traumatic event. These events may trigger hair follicles to enter the resting phase prematurely in which case an increase in the amount of hair shed will be noticed about 3 months after the event, as the hair makes a transition from the
The above types to sudden hair loss are usually temporary an in most cases hair will grow back normally soon after it has fallen out. However in some cases where diffuse and sudden hair loss occurs the hair loss may continue until the underlying cause is treated. Types of sudden diffuse hair loss that continues until the cause is treated are as follows:

Thyroid Gland Malfunction
Diabetes
Anaemia
Systemic Lupus Erythematosis

Hair loss that is cause by the above underlying causes will usually continue until the underlying cause is treated.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

Thanks for the info
Old 03-12-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stress can definitely cause your hair to thin among so many other physical symptoms. I was diagnosed with alopecia (spelling?), i had a bald spot the size of a half dollar and a lot of thinning that I am convinced was actually caused by stress.

I would try not to dye or use any harsh chemicals on your hair for awhile and should you continue to have problems or if it becomes worse, see your doctor just to be sure. They will end up taking some blood to do some lab tests just to make sure.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dream Weaver

Yes, I have also experienced some hair loss and now I have a few grey hairs. Another lady at work has an AH and her hair is falling out in patches.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
grateful rca

my hair is breaking off, thinning and i've been about 98% gray for about 15 yrs, i'm 53 now. doctor said it was my nerves. thanks for the post caught, i think maybe it time to go back to have it re checked.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had some serious hair loss a few years back, shortly after I was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder. After things were regulated again, I ended up off all meds for 4 years. The stress of my RAD has put me back in full swing again. No hair loss this time, but oh my, there is a serious grey patch.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
gnome on the range

Haven't experienced the hair loss during this stressful time. but I do have the grays. Another thing that I have just been diagnosed with is GERD (gastroesphogeal reflux diesease) one of the things that causes it is... STRESS! its not a good feeling... I'm always gagging and stuff comes up almost for no reason at all (sorry - its gross). Also, I've experienced twitching eye lids. Thats caused by stress too and it gets on my nerves!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

Thank you this onfo has been very helpful
Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I may be a little late. My hair does not fall out, but my eyelashes do! lol
Old 03-13-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

yes, i have had this happen. you might want to try b12 complex. it helped me. blessings, k