Therapist Possibly Breaching Confidentiality

Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Therapist Possibly Breaching Confidentiality

Hi All,
Here's a scenario that I would like your take on. The names have been changed for privacy. Angie is in therapy for a year to deal with co-dependent and control issues. So far, it has been working. Anyway, Angie's daughter, Jo, who is not yet separated or divorced from her estranged husband (he left her and her kids four years ago and hasn't been heard from since and is a MAJOR ALCOHOLIC) had several orders of protection against her AH, he was court ordered into alcohol counseling several years ago. Anyway, he went to the same center Angie has been going to and Jo has a part time job at. One of the therapists there still maintains contact with Jo's xah from his therapy there years ago and told him that Jo works there, and possibly that Angie attends therapy there. Is this a breach of confidentiality in any way, and does anyone know what course of action they could take? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So sick of Love songs

Something should be done or said to a the manager of the facility!
These therapist are to be professionals & behave as such.
I would be very concerned if this hapened to me.
Sage
Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I'm understanding this correctly, I think a facility has an obligation to let you know if someone with a possible conflict of interest is employed there. I'm not sure I understand this scenerio. If my ex were emplyed at a facility where I was receiving treatment. I'd like to know it and I'd like the option of changing facilities. In any case, if I even suspected a breach, I would report it.
I reread and I think there has been a breach. I know at the hospital people can opt out of being identified as being a patient, they simply are not there. Now, even if they did not opt out, no professional or hosptial employee is allowed to even acknowledge that a person is being treated for anything including a hang nail. It is a simple matter of confidentiality.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it's a breach and she should be reported.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nothing is private in the Health Care field--believe me--you can sign all the papers you want--people talk--records are read=etc...I would just take the info passed along and do what is needed for everyones best interest....why make more problems than you already have?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think it is a breach to say that "Jo" works there, but it IS a breach to say that Angie is in treatment there. And you aren't sure if this was even said (according to your post). I agree with Frizz... forget about it.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If the other therapist knew there were protective orders at one time she is way out of line. If nothing else, she should be told to keep her yap shut. In a more professional way than that, of course.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm with H2bh -
It's probably not a breach to say who's working there, but saying that Angie is in treatment there is a breach of confidentiality.
Now if Jo still has a protection order - I think Jo should be told that he possibly knows she works there and she might want to alert the police as well. And yes, if the other therapist knew there has been protective orders that therapist should definitely have a scolding.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dream Weaver

I would make a complaint. I do not know if it is a breach of confidentiality or more of a ethical issue within the facility. Someone should get reprimanded for the incident.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

complaint issue.
I work for a county treatment facility. In our building there are several different departments ranging from meantal health, foster care,developmentally delayed, clinincs etc..
There is a professional courtesy between different dept's. We have shared info. about clients in order to possibly help benefit them. Even then we do not discuss to much.
I am not sure about breach of confidence. You would have to find out more.
I do know if a therapist discusses anyone who is receiving or has received any type of treatment, if proven can be brought up on charges.They can loose their license to practice. It's more of a ethical issue.