Im going to my first Al-Alon Meeting

Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im going to my first Al-Alon Meeting

I think I need to go to a face to face meeing. Even tho AH is sober. Thanks to God. I have still so many feelings, I dont know what to do with. All the what if's. All the pain of living for so long in a crazy world. What do I do with all these feelings? Its making me nuts! Even tho we are in therapy. I still feel like I could be doing more for myself. Did you all feel like this too? Did it help?
You know I thought once he got sober my feeling would change. Wrong answer. I think its harder now.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt exactly the way you do when my AH first came out of inpatient. I had SO much I wanted to get out. It has helped me to attend the outpatient therapy with him. After one such therapy meeting, we had a heart-to-heart talk. I said everything I needed to say and he listened -- no arguing, no blaming -- just my feelings. It helped me immensely. Now I am able to move on.

We both take the recovery one day at a time. If he sees that I start to project about anything, he reminds me about one day at a time. He has, actually, been very helpful to me as I also work my own recovery. I encourage everyone to try to keep those lines of communication open.

Enjoy your first Al-Anon meeting!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea, BP. Working a program of recovery that is totally separate from him is important. My friends who are in your situation say they didn't realize that even in sobriety they allowed the focus to stay on him. It's difficult when the disease has been the focus for so long. In Al-Anon I learned to put things in their proper place and perspective. I believe that allows me to live a life that, though full of recovery, is not centered on it.

Take what you like and leave the rest!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Al-anon has helped me a great deal. I think it is a good idea for you.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

My AH was over 6 months sober, out of my house, living in a half-way house & having very limited contact with me -when I figured out I was still MISERABLE.

Only then did I make it to my first Al-Anon meeting. I have been an active member for over 3 yrs. All my "If only . . . "'s had come true and I was still dying on the inside.

Most groups suggest that you attend at least 6 meetings before deciding if the program is for you and don't give up before the miracles happen in you - You deserve them.

Let us know how you like the meetings, when you decide it is time for you to give it a try.

Rita
Old 03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Royalty

Good luck at your meeting....and just wanted to say that I love your name! That was me last year, but I've been promoted to MyGiveaDamnsBusted.

lol
Old 03-13-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

alanon keeps me focused on my recovery. it makes me accountable. good luck at your meeting! k