Notices

Day 1

Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Well, here i am. New to this and first day of saying I am sober. How did I get here? Where do I go from here? Is it wrong to want someone to help me through this? I know I need to help myself, but doing it along is a scary thought.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Peterson and welcome. I'm still new here but I'm sure one of our pros will be along to give you the same great advice and words they gave me. I'm glad you are sober today.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

peterson... hold on there... slow down a bit...

miss carol i'm shure will be on soon with some links...

happy your here... and good wishes on your recovery...

no its not wrong to reach out for help... thats one of the most important things...

admitting theres a problem...

many have tried doing it alone... the results... not too good... you can do it, as long as you really want it...

pm me if ya like...or just post away...

xxoo, rz
Old 03-11-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Peterson,

Welcome!

We are all on this journey together and you have found a great place for support and information. Keep posting!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not having a good morning, hence the down and out tone of my thread. Last night was my rock bottom. I lost the person I care about most by doing some dumb things, drinking every night, being dishonest. So I got drunk fast to deal with it and now I am in the depression after mode.

Drinking runs in my family but I thought I was different, that I could handle it. But the last few months it had gotten worse. Drinking every night, finding myself racing to the liquor store before closing so I could have my nighly glass of wine, which was always more than just one.

Saying I wasn't going to drink tonight, but still doing it. I need to do this for me, my kids and my best friend.

I know there are a ton of places to go, etc. I have been through alanon with my family. But I am not into the christian part of AA and hope there are other groups out there not religiously based.

Thanks for listening.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Peterson, there are some stickies at the top of this board where I think you can read about different programs. You should be proud of yourself for realizing the problems that alcohol causes in your life and wanting to change that.

There is alot of good information on these boards. You may also want to look around the alcoholism board, lots of good info there too, not to mention great support.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how you get sober, just as long as you do it.

I'm not an AA person either, but I know it works for many.

Here is a list of options:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 03-11-2007, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Peterson and welcome to this great place.

We are happy to help you!

We are never alone unless we want to be! You have come to the right place. Keep posting.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Peterson,

It's day one for me too (again). Before all of my attempts to deal with my problem were to "control" my drinking -- like just drink on the weekend like "normal" people. I've finally accepted I have no control. It's a big step for me.

I'm glad you are sober today. Stay that way. I will too.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Peterson!! So glad you found us. This forum is full of great information and tons of support! Stick with us, and we'll get to know each other.
Hang in there, you can do this
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Peterson,

Your brief story sounds very familiar to alot of us alkies. You have taken a big step in admitting you have an allergy to this stuff. You have what I call "groundhogs day syndrome" , you think tomorrow will be different(not drink etc.) , but it is exacly the same. It is time to reach out for help and accept it , from the people who know how your feeling .... fellow alcoholics....

All of us on this site had to ask for help to begin our recovery. It takes some of us longer to ask, but sooner or later we all need help and support to battle this baffling disease. I thought i was strong enough to get well on my own, I just convinced myself to get WORSE....and the END was coming up fast.

I finally asked for help(with my tail between my legs) and SURPRISE....THAT IS WHAT I GOT...HELP...

Most of us are very happy with our lives now..and want to help others in distress...We owe it to you and ourselves ..KEEP POSTING

HELP IS ON THE WAY!!!!!!!

Work Hard and Enjoy Life...NED
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for responses. I fell asleep. Haven't wanted to get out of bed yet today. I know I will. I guess it's a good thing it is Sunday and I have you guys to talk to.

I have already looked at some of the information given to me.

Thanks again and I will be back. It feels good to say I am sober.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

peterson, welcome to sr......you're gonna be alright....you have a found a great place...you will find tons of support here....congrats on making the decision to quit.....that is a very brave thing to do....

hugs
ayla
Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome Peterson......especially on your first day sober, I would like to say that this is the worst you ever have to feel again!! Everyday you will feel a little better and sooner than you think, you will feel human again.
While you are drying out, you only need to concentrate on not drinking. You can deal with the other things a little later. Sometimes trying to figure out WHY we drank to early will get you started all over again (eventually you will need to deal with some things, I am sure you know this) and to this day, I couldn't give you a solid answer as to why I drank!!!!! I just know I couldn't stop without help. You are in the right place.

SRH
Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Red face Made it two days

Well, today is a much better day. I told my mom, my ex husband and my kids that I have a drinking problem and that I need their help and support. My boyfriend, who I thought I lost came to check on me last night and said he will support me 100%, but that I needed to follow through with what I say. This has helped me a ton.

I am now 2 days sober and although I didn't sleep that good last night. No sedative! Hehe. I felt so much better today.

I found myself in at the bar picking up take out at Dan Pablos tonight and although I was nervous, I was okay. I thought about the fact that I was in a bar, but I was okay that I wasn't drinking while waiting for my food. Which I normally have at least one margharetta.

I feel good tonight. Your kind thoughts have helped. Now on to day 3.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

that was so brave.....to admit to your family that you have a problem.....i'm so glad you are feeling so much better.....

hugs
ayla
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Peterson, your braver than me, im trying to do it alone and know one knows not even my best friend I just cant do it - the only people that know about me are the people on this site - Well done for 2 days sober!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Smile

WAY TO GO!!!!!! PETERSON........Keep it up... It sounds like everyone is with you while you start your journey back to LIFE......

Work Hard and Enjoy Life................NED
Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wink

Kaysyb, I totally get you. It was very hard. More so to tell my mom. My dad was sober 25 years before he died. My brother has been sober for 15 years. To admit I too had a problem to her was VERY VERY hard. But I knew that if I could tell her, then I would really be admitting my problem.

I don't like admitting I have flaws. I have always tried to be a strong person and show people that I am perfect. Which is probably why I drank because I am not perfect. No one is perfect and the pressure of trying to perfect all the time. Not worth it.

I got up and ran at 5 today. I haven't been able to get up that early to run in a long time. I always run at night. It felt good.

Another day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Day 3 with a great morning run! Welcome to a sober life...the best thing that will ever happen ..if you let it!