Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

I can't force her to change, but I have to do something for me and my family.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My friend has fallen off the wagon in a big way and is going down in flames. When she got out of the hospital for a drinking induced heart arythmia two weeks ago, my husband and I told her that the next incident was going to result in consequences. We explained then that the lying and hiding have to stop and that we were not going to allow her to continue to live with us under those conditions. She heard and agreed that we were right to feel this way and promised to "cut back to two drinks a day and maybe go to AA when things settle down". We knew the bull for what it was, but thought it best to let things happen. The next incident is here...she's been drunk literally 24/7 since Thursday and she spent the better part of today with sh** spread out on the back of her shirt and pants because she didn't realize it was there. On Monday, I will call the local intervention folks and get a list of rehab facilities in the area. On Tuesday (because by the time I get home on Monday, she will be too drunk to discuss it), I will sit her down and explain that she has a choice - rehab or an apartment. I will not watch her kill herself. Someone said it great in an earlier post...this sucks out loud.

Roni
Old 03-10-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Roni, I think you're making the right choice... It's clear you are a true and caring friend, and A's don't always realize that. Sometimes what they need is a nudge in the right direction, and that's all you can do. Kudos to you for realizing that you need to do what's best for you and your family! Hang in there
Old 03-10-2007, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You are indeed a friend...I hope your plan works out.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Roni,

What a great friend you are! And that was me who said this disease sucks out loud, and I'll say it again, THIS DISEASE SUCKS OUT LOUD! Good Luck with the intervention!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very wise move. Take action for yourself and your family.