Notices

Going to rehab today

Old 03-10-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sober in KY

Going to rehab today

Hi. I have posted on here in the past. I went through an 8-week Intensive Outpatient program a couple years ago. Since then I have relapsed over and over and it has finally become unmanable and is affecting my life and my relationships, especially with my boyfriend, whom I live with.

I finally agreed to going into a 28-day rehab. My boyfriend is driving me there this afternoon. I don't think I'll be able to check back on this post until I get out, but I still just wanted to admit this to everyone and to say that this is a HUGE step for me and something I never thought I could do. I hope that if there is anyone out there reading this who needs treatment, you can think of me and know that if I can do this, you can too.

I am not used to living with other people except for my boyfriend, and I hate the idea of being with people all the time. I always needed my space and privacy. I will also be leaving my house and my dog and cat and everything I'm used to. I will be completely out of my comfort zone.

The only reason I'm going is because I can finally see that there is no other way for me to get and stay sober. This is extreme. It's embarrassing. But since I've admitted my problem to everyone and agreed to rehab, the support I've received from my family and friends has been absolutely wonderful. No one is ashamed of me; they all say they are proud of me. My mom is even going to go to her first al-anon meeting tonight.

I'll check back in here in a month or so and let you all know how it went. Thanks for reading and for supporting each other. Keep up the great posts. I've read a lot on here, though rarely posted, and you all are very encouraging and helpful.

ashes
Old 03-10-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you are doing something so awesome for yourself. it's hard, and you are taking the right steps.
please come back and let us know how it went
sending you hugs
misti
Old 03-10-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ashes

You are doing the right thing... I have been there and done that....
I tried all other avenues to get my life back.....I thought I would never go to a rehab center (that was for LOSERS) but I pretty much had no other choice ..... About 3 days in, my mind started to clear up , 5 days in I actually started to GET IT!!!!!! I was here to save my life, A wonderful life ( if you take away my addiction).. I opened up and learned about this disease and myself........................

To make a long story short ... This hopeless alcoholic has been sober for over 10 months........

Open your mind and fill it with knowledge, be willing ,your WORTH IT!!!!!!!!

Work Hard and Enjoy Your Life....NED
Old 03-10-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 03-10-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go ashes!!! You are off to a great start.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

That is a great decision!!! I went to a few two week inpatient treatment programs, with meetings to follow...never worked (for me) I couldn't get 30 days sober to save my life. I eventually went into a 90 day inpatient program, after completion, I stayed as a trainee/monitor....long story short, I stayed 18 months!!! The result.....I will celebrate 13 years next month!!!! Don't give up before the miracle happens!!!

Good luck...SRH
Old 03-10-2007, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ashes,

I am glad you have made the choice to go to rehab.

And, you are very lucky to have the support of your boyfriend and your family. And, you have our support too!
Old 03-10-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ashes.....i know that by the time you read this you will have almost a month of sobriety, and i want to let you know that this thread will probably help many people, you are brave and strong, and i'm so happy for you that you are taking these steps to change your life, it also seems like you are doing this for all the right reasons......for yourself and your life, which is the only way.......

when you read this you will have a new life, a new chance.....a fresh start.....you are saving your own life and that is an incredible thing.....

i'm really proud of you, and i don't even know you....lol.....

hugs
ayla
Old 03-10-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi ashes, you have made a very hard, and

important decesion.. Be proud of yourself, that was

hard to do...I will be praying for you and your

family,,hugs, hope3
Old 04-21-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober in KY

Hi again. I just wanted to say that I have been back since April 10th and I am now 43 days sober. Rehab was not as bad as I had imagined and I gained a lot through the classes, meetings, and group and individual therapy. I also met a lot of really nice people there and plan on staying in touch with several women I got close to.

This is the longest I've been sober in YEARS and it feels GOOD! I really think I'm going to make it for good this time! If I can do it, you all can too. Thank you for your support, and if anyone has any questions about inpatient or anything that I might be able to help with, I will be glad to tell you what I have learned. I'm sure that every place and experience is different, but I'd be happy to share my own experience with anyone interested or curious.

~ashes
Old 04-21-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you back Ashes!

And, congratulations on your new sober life.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job ashes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ashes!!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome back ashes, so glad it was'nt as

bad as you thought it would be, and that you

feel so good. Again, welcome back, hope3
Old 07-21-2018, 12:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done I’m really proud of you!!
It takes a lot of willpower to do what you are doing.
All the best
Gill x
Old 07-22-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Hi again. I just wanted to say that I have been back since April 10th and I am now 43 days sober. Rehab was not as bad as I had imagined and I gained a lot through the classes, meetings, and group and individual therapy. I also met a lot of really nice people there and plan on staying in touch with several women I got close to.

This is the longest I've been sober in YEARS and it feels GOOD! I really think I'm going to make it for good this time! If I can do it, you all can too. Thank you for your support, and if anyone has any questions about inpatient or anything that I might be able to help with, I will be glad to tell you what I have learned. I'm sure that every place and experience is different, but I'd be happy to share my own experience with anyone interested or curious.

~ashes
Hi Ashes,
I am 58 years old been having trouble staying sober, relapsed yesterday after one week , I went to wedding and thought I could do it but could not, are there people my age in rehab, just curious because people I hang with sometimes say it's too late to sober up .
Old 07-22-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by bunchie View Post
Hi Ashes,
I am 58 years old been having trouble staying sober, relapsed yesterday after one week , I went to wedding and thought I could do it but could not, are there people my age in rehab, just curious because people I hang with sometimes say it's too late to sober up .
This thread is very old so the OP is not likely to respond. As to it being 'too late' to get sober. No, as long as you're still breathing you can get sober for good.